Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wanting to go to Law School but...  (Read 3489 times)

untradional

• View Profile
Wanting to go to Law School but...
« on: March 14, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »
How far can a weak 3.8 GPA and 170 on the LSAT take you. I have not one good recommendation, zero extra curriculars, and no voluteer work. My school was not competitive nor challenging. I worked full time while in college and I am a veteran of the Marine Corps.  I wish to attend a top 30 school, is that even possible?

msteedubya

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wanting to go to Law School but...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »
R u kidding me? Those are Ivy League numbers...
Non-Traditional student applying to Law School...

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »
How far can a weak 3.8 GPA and 170 on the LSAT take you. I have not one good recommendation, zero extra curriculars, and no voluteer work. My school was not competitive nor challenging. I worked full time while in college and I am a veteran of the Marine Corps.  I wish to attend a top 30 school, is that even possible?

You should be a lock at all schools ranked lower than GULC.  You are also competitive with those schools ranked above GULC.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »

This seems like a bit of a flame to me, but whatever. 
Go on here
https://officialguide.lsac.org/release/OfficialGuide_Default.aspx

Plug in your numbers and take a look at the percentages they give you to get a good guide.   You can also look at lawschoolnumbers.com for some good information.

What do you mean by weak 3.8?  If you mean you took powder-puff classes, that probably won't be a big issue for most schools.  If you mean you retook a bunch of classes changing Fs to As, then your lsac gpa will get nailed.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 01:25:30 PM »
Lack of extracurriculars is easily explained by working full-time.  The reason schools look at these are to guage:

1.  Whether you can balance other activities while you are in school;
2.  Whether you are a good citizen -- community involvement; and
3.  Whether you have leadership experience.

Working full time and being a former Marine, reflects positively on these factors.  If you are not in management, be sure to highlight your leadership skills as part of your personal statement. 

untradional

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 01:17:21 AM »
Thank you for the responses and making me feel much better. I have been reading personal statements and I can't even fake being as involved as these kids have been. 

Sure I can research GPA/LSAT averages but honestly my former High School debate partner has superior numbers to me, went to Oxford and is nearly done with her PhD. She currently attends Yale Law. Even with my numbers I am a 100th the candidate she is/was. 

Weak GPA does refer to "powder-puff" classes.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:23:29 PM »
There won't be very many former marines applying to the top law schools.  This gives you a good anlge.  Schools want as diverse a class as possible because that's what makes the school gool. 

Ride that horse in.  Don't dwell on everyone else.  Polish yourself to look as good as possible and you will have a legigitimate shot. 

bradyllewis

• View Profile
    • LSAT Testing Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 05:06:36 PM »
To me it sounds like you have a pretty good chance to go wherever you want.  A 3.8 GPA is fantastic.  It doesn't matter that you weren't challenged while obtaining it.  Your full time work and marine status should help overcome the lack of extracurriculars.  You should be in good shape.

margiecardin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 11:45:49 AM »
My humble opinion is that you should choose four or five of the schools you would most like to attend and then apply to them. I think you'll get into all of them. I'm happy for you. Most of us on here would like to have your set of problems.

wjo9522

• Semper Fidelis
    • View Profile
    • Marine Officer
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 09:13:37 AM »
There won't be very many former marines applying to the top law schools.  This gives you a good anlge.  Schools want as diverse a class as possible because that's what makes the school gool. 

Ride that horse in.  Don't dwell on everyone else.  Polish yourself to look as good as possible and you will have a legigitimate shot.

I assume that your logic is based upon the number of Marines/military members versus the total number of all applicants.  If you posit that Marines do not typically apply to these schools, I would have to disagree.  There are plenty of Marines and other former servicemembers--many of them bonafide war heroes--seeking T14 school seats.
William J. Orr
Chief Warrant Officer
US Marine Corps-Active
1993-2015
Semper Fidelis