Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A-E graded class changed to pass/fail (s/u)  (Read 839 times)

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
A-E graded class changed to pass/fail (s/u)
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:49:32 PM »
I am taking a class right now that is graded on an A-E scale where an E is a failing mark.  However, we are allowed to change this to a pass/fail mark if we want to before a certain date.  In this case i would get a grade of a "s" for pass. 
How would this affect my UGPA?  Would the "S" be considered at all? 
I have a B in the class and i dont want it to stick to my UGPA or hurt my class rank. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A-E graded class changed to pass/fail (s/u)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »
I'm almost certain an S or CR for credit or pass whatever each school uses will neither hurt or help your UGPA. You can look on LSAC and they have detailed info about this type of question. Since an S is strange when you apply you might include a 2 sentence addendum explaining an S means you took the class pass/fail.

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 10:38:24 AM »
I'm almost certain an S or CR for credit or pass whatever each school uses will neither hurt or help your UGPA. You can look on LSAC and they have detailed info about this type of question. Since an S is strange when you apply you might include a 2 sentence addendum explaining an S means you took the class pass/fail.

You're right about the UGPA -- a "S" grade is included as an "unconverted" grade and not figured into one's UGPA.  However, I wouldn't recommend an addendum.  The information on LSAC's grade conversion sheet indicates they're familiar with the "satisfactory/unsatisfactory" grading system.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 03:05:50 PM »
No addendum.  It will not hurt or help your UGPA.  If your application is borderline and you have too many pass-fail classes, it is a soft factor that will count against you.  Law schools look for those who challenge themselves. 

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 05:38:33 PM »
This will be the only S on my transcript

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
This will be the only S on my transcript

LSAC probably sees more "S" grades than it does "D" or "F" grades, so LSAC needs no explanation.  As PPs have said, it won't affect your UGPA.

Now, how potential law schools will view a single "S" on your transcripts is an entirely different question.  My guess is that if you're concerned about a "B" hurting your UGPA, you're pretty close to a 4.0.  High UGPAs help US News rankings, so I suspect an isolated "S" would be better than something that would lower your UGPA.