Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need some advice. Should I disclose or not.  (Read 3210 times)

DiploLAW

• View Profile
Need some advice. Should I disclose or not.
« on: March 08, 2011, 02:00:00 AM »
I am a former diplomat for a foreign country in the Midwest well into my thirties and have  the good fortune of obtaining an LOR from a federal magistrate.   I graduated in 1998 from a jesuit university with a 2.0.  I have  scored a 148 on the Feb lsat.   I am male and latino.  (south american)

I have applied to some t-14 reaches and some more in my range. Mostly local.  I have recently been diagnosed with ADHD by a reputable behaviorial sciences institute and have supporting data.  While  I know it is late in the Admissions cycle I cannot decide whether or not to supply my applications with a supplemental addendum disclosing my condition.  I know that legally it cant hurt but in practical terms what do you think about disclosing it.  I asked my law advisor who is recent grad from law school 03 and she felt that it would help.  What do you guys out there think?

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Need some advice. Should I disclose or not.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 05:09:01 PM »
Disclose it, it won't hurt you, and might help.

SaraJean

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
My thought is that if you got the 2.0 before your ADHD diagnosis and you're getting treatment, disclosing it would explain why you believe you'd do well in law school despite having a low UGPA.

oceanblue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 07:10:48 PM »
I have just started exploring applying for law school and have a similar situation.  I am thinking of having a doctor explain my situation since my resume is so choppy.  At the same time you have to look at whether they think you can do the work.  I would write an essay on how you have completed projects from start to finish using attention to detail showing your leadership capabilities.  Disability services could help you get accomodations.  148 is not a bad score.

kattyjames111

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 03:24:54 AM »
Hi,

There is no problem in disclosing it as it would help in spreading information only. So, I guess no problem in it.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 12:36:54 PM »
It probably won't hurt you, but law school admissions is almost ALL about numbers. You can see this by looking at lawschoolnumbers.com. It won't hurt you to submit it, but schools are not likely to have much sympathy for an ADHD diagnosis. They really don't have much sympathy in admissions period unless your story is newsworthy i.e. lost your arm jumping on a grenade to save 20 orphans in Africa or something like that. All schools claim to "care" about soft factors, but they really don't unless it is something like the example above.   I would check out lawschoolnumbers.com to see what your chances are at particular schools.   

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 01:37:06 PM »
I think with a 2.0 and a 148, you shouldn't even be thinking about law school, ADHD or not.

If you're good at anything else, I'd do that.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:21:14 AM »
Ouch Jimmy. That hurt just to read.

Op- he means your scores are too low for almost any law school, don't waste your money applying to t-14s now.  Get treatment.  Prep for the LSAT and take it again and apply next cycle. Your ADHD can still explain the low UGPA. 

If there is a language issue consider Puerto Rico, they use a different entrance exam, but their schools allow you to practice in the rest of the U.S and are just as good.  Good luck.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

ashleyrenee

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 12:39:51 PM »
I agree, it won't hurt you to disclose - if anything it might explain your low LSAT score

justanothersucker

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 01:15:00 PM »
If you disclose it you get extra time for exams.

If you didn't tell the LSAC about it, retake it after telling them too. I believe they give special accomodations for it.