Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Duke Law? 3.67 MS GPA, 163 LSAT - experienced engineer  (Read 1995 times)

ipdaily

• View Profile
Duke Law? 3.67 MS GPA, 163 LSAT - experienced engineer
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:26:35 AM »
Hi, I am an experienced R&D engineer with a dozen or so patents and a decent understanding of patent theory coupled with a serious interest in IP law.   I am wondering if I have a chance to get into a top IP law school such as Duke.

Unfortunately, I blew the LSAT - 163, but I do have an MS from Stanford with a 3.67 GPA and UMich undergrad with 3.7.  And no, I won't be taking the friggin LSAT again.  I'd appreciate any advice.

the white rabbit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Duke Law? 3.67 MS GPA, 163 LSAT - experienced engineer
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:41:07 AM »
Sorry to say, but Duke and other Duke-range schools are pretty unlikely given your LSAT score.  The MS probably won't count for much, and the GPA's not so spectacular that it will outweigh the relatively low LSAT score.
Mood: Tired but cheerful.  :)

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 01:52:16 AM »
UGPA is the only GPA that matters, really. Retake the LSAT, bump your score to the upper 160s/lower 170s and you're probably in.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »

With your LSAT, its a long shot.  About 8% of the applicants with your stats were accepted. 

ipdaily

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »
UGPA is the only GPA that matters, really. Retake the LSAT, bump your score to the upper 160s/lower 170s and you're probably in.

How do you know they tend to ignore GGPA?  I can't imagine why they would do that.

ipdaily

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »

With your LSAT, its a long shot.  About 8% of the applicants with your stats were accepted.

Thanks, actually, 8% isn't as bad as I thought given some of the graphs.  It seems like Duke tends to
ignore experience and stuff more than even some higher ranked schools - probably
not many elder learners there.

'blueskies

• LSD Obsessed
  • your changing skyline is twisting me up inside
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 02:32:10 PM »

How do you know they tend to ignore GGPA?  I can't imagine why they would do that.

UGPA and LSAT is what's reported to USNews, that's why GGPA doesn't matter
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:29:59 PM »
Thanks, actually, 8% isn't as bad as I thought given some of the graphs.  It seems like Duke tends to

I guarantee almost every single one of those 8% was an under-represented minority. If you are not an underrepresented minority, your chances are probably closer to 1%. But like people said, retake the LSAT. I advise anybody who scored less than a 170 their first time to retake. You have nothing to lose but the study time and the administration fee. Both pale in comparison to the investments of time and money you will put into law school. 
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?