Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are my chances??  (Read 1357 times)

Krhern714

• View Profile
What are my chances??
« on: March 07, 2011, 05:57:47 PM »
I scored pretty low on my LSAT, a 149 (mainly due to planning my wedding, going to school and working full time while trying to study), and my GPA is 3.2.  I know these numbers are low.. however, I have a difficult major in my undergrad and I worked full time during my college years.  Here are my circumstances: I work full time in a law firm, I have been a senior paralegal for 5 years now (while attending undergrad full time), i am a member of several legal associations and I do a lot of community service.  I also graduated from a Legal training institution with a 3.75. My personal statement and Resume are very strong, and my Letters of Recommendation came from the attorneys I work with.  I know my numbers are low... but could my legal experience and prior training maybe make-up for it? Would it be enough to get into at least a T2 school?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are my chances??
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »
Look at LSN, your GPA and LSAT are all that matter. 
HLS 2010

LSATFailure2011

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:47:49 PM »
I scored pretty low on my LSAT, a 149 (mainly due to planning my wedding, going to school and working full time while trying to study), and my GPA is 3.2.  I know these numbers are low.. however, I have a difficult major in my undergrad and I worked full time during my college years.  Here are my circumstances: I work full time in a law firm, I have been a senior paralegal for 5 years now (while attending undergrad full time), i am a member of several legal associations and I do a lot of community service.  I also graduated from a Legal training institution with a 3.75. My personal statement and Resume are very strong, and my Letters of Recommendation came from the attorneys I work with.  I know my numbers are low... but could my legal experience and prior training maybe make-up for it? Would it be enough to get into at least a T2 school?

Khern,

Did you take the February LSAT in 2011?

I am in the same boat. My LSAT is higher at 150, but GPA is lower...

Unfourtunately, we don't have many options. a T2 school is out of the question. Right now your best option is to take it again, and hope for the best. I am considering registering for the Kaplan class, as I hear study can improve an LSAT score.

In the meantime it doesn't hurt to apply, and hope for the best. At this point we have nothing to lose.

My advice would be to specifiy that you want to be considered for all programs on your application. From what I hear it's the best way of getting on the wait list. Once you are on the wait list anything can happen.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:36:00 PM »
retake and take your studying seriously this time

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:14:10 PM »
Best shot is to study for LSAT and re-take.  Law schools (in general) are going to be more impressed with LOR's from professors than attorneys you work with.  But UGPA and LSAT are going be THE deciding factor 90% of the time.   

Are there any law schools that you would consider that have part-time programs where you live?  Schools don't lower the bar that much for those programs, but they don't have to report the statistics to US News.  I knew several paralegals who were at my law school in the part-time program.