Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Western State College of Law, Thomas Jefferson, Whittier Law..HELP!  (Read 4291 times)

BigFudge

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Western State College of Law, Thomas Jefferson, Whittier Law..HELP!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2011, 04:51:45 PM »
Thanks for all the help honestly. My cousin is on the alumni board at SW and he knows the dean, he put in a good word. I hope that helps me get in to a full time program. I'm also waiting on Cal Western in SD, and LaVerne to respond to me.

Is LaVerne a good school? I know they are only provisional but will they ever get fully accredited?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2011, 08:28:46 PM »
What is a good school is highly subjective and judge on a case by case basis. In all honesty is La Verne much worse than Whitter or even Southwestern for that matter I personally don't think so. Again, law schools teach you the law, but the provisional accreditation might present some problems. Some government jobs require an ABA degree. I honestly don't know if a provisional degree meets that requirement or not, but going to a fully accredited school is probably a better choice than a provisional one. Will they ever be fully approved I have no idea. Maybe they will next year or twenty years from now. It is possible Southwestern could end up on probation next year it is all a crapshoot.

In my limited experience I really think there are top schools. In L.A. UCLA, USC and then the rest. Maybe LMU & Pepperdine are on the fringe just like Hastings is on the fringe in San Francisco. In S.F. Stanford and Berkeley are the top schools. The other schools don't seem to have employers with 100k a year contracts in hand at Hastings, Santa Clara, USF, or GGU's graduation.

The schools you are looking at will all teach you the law. Going to a tier 4 will probably close some doors, you probably won't become a Supreme Court judge or big law partner. You probably wouldn't even if you went to Harvard, but you woudl have a fighting chance. Again, there is no such thing as a GOOD school or RIGHT school to choose. You seem to have enough common sense to understand UCLA & USC will open a lot more doors than a degree from Southwestern or Western State. However, you need to score in the 90th percentile on the LSAT to get into those schools. 90% of people don't score in the 90th percentile, but getting into any ABA school is difficult.

Again, there is no right answer, but if you want to be a lawyer in L.A. go to law school in L.A. If there is significant scholarship money coming from one school then take it. Unless there is the accreditation issue, which Western State and La Verne might have. From what you said and your desire to be in L.A. I would lean towards Whittier or Southwestern. However, I am some random guy on the internet who has no idea what you like, dislike, etc. The school you choose is a highly personal decision that only you can make.

No matter what school you choose there will be all kinds of negative crap on the internet about law school, that individual school, etc. Don't believe 99% of it. You have to question anyone who would waste their time complaining endlessly about something. On top of that many of the criticisms come from people who have never taken the LSAT let alone spent even one day in a law school classroom. So remember this quote "Those who know the least know it the loudest". I would say that is generally true in everything, but it is especially true when trying to find information about law schools etc. Whatever you choose will end up being the right choice in all honesty. I would highly recommend looking at law firm websites and finding grads from each school. I will give you the e-mail of the professor I had from Western State if you want. You could e-mail the new Head District Attorney of San Francisco Gascon, as well he is a Western State Grad. He is pretty busy though, but it does go to show that no matter what school you attend you can have a successful career. There are plenty of Harvard Grads etc that wanted that position, but a Western State guy got it.  Bottom line is get information from people that have direct experience from the schools. I can only speak about GGU, because that is the only law school I have attended. Also, realize I am only a second year law student with a TREMENDOUS amount to learn about everything basically. So take everything I say with a huge grain of salt.

Alright well quite a rant and hopefully it has been somewhat helpful.

BigFudge

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 02:44:27 AM »
This actually helped a lot. Thank you very much. I really hope I get into Southwestern.

BigFudge

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 03:55:06 AM »
I'm on the waitlist for the part time program at Southwestern. I'm very upset..but I got a 10,000 dollar scholarship to Thomas Jefferson and a 5,000 to Western State. I am still on the Whittier wait-list although I think I will be taken off the wait list. Earlier in these posts I forgot to mention I wasn't admitted but I was on the WL.

What should I do? The deadline for seats is April 15.

BigFudge

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2011, 02:37:19 AM »
bump

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 12:01:04 PM »
Make a choice of the schools that accepted you and pay a seat deposit.  You can always forfeit it if you get in at SW.