Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 168 LSAT 3.41 GPA - Where to apply?  (Read 1848 times)

cotweast

• View Profile
168 LSAT 3.41 GPA - Where to apply?
« on: March 05, 2011, 09:42:31 PM »
I took the LSAT a month after registering, took 2 practice tests and did some logic puzzles in a book, and got a 168. I wasn't as sure back when I took the test about whether I wanted to go to LS, but am sure now... I'm worried that if I prepare myself more and retook the test I would feel more pressure and would score lower. But I didn't prep much... so maybe I would score enough of a higher grade to make it worthwhile?

I've been working at a non-prof humanitarian aid organization for a year and a half since graduation.

Also... what schools should I apply to realistically? Is going to a T-1 school worth paying the money? From what I've read the difference between T-2 and T-4 schools isn't big enough to make paying the money reasonable.

Thanks for any advice.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: 168 LSAT 3.41 GPA - Where to apply?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 04:04:33 PM »
A good LSAT is not a good reason to go to law school.  There is only one good reason.  If you can read this sentence below, and it rings true, go to law shool:

“I am genuinely interested in the law and I have a sincere desire to become an attorney and practice law. I have come to this conclusion by thoroughly researching what law school and working as an attorney entails.”
—Mike— Barely Legal Blog

As far as your best option for schools, it really depends on where you want to live/work upon graduation.  You don't have the scores for HYS, but a T1 regional school might be a possibility.  As for lower tier, it depends on where you are.  Your 168 might get you a scholarship offer at a lower-tier school. 

You should probably spend some serious time thinking/researching your options. 

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide.

MeganEW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 10:31:43 PM »
I agree you should only go into law if you know what you're getting into and still want to do it.

That said, you don't really need to apply to any T2 or lower schools. There are T1 schools that give good scholarship money for that LSAT score. IU Bloomington and University of Illinois are the two on my radar, but there are likely others as well. Check out law school numbers to see what people are getting this year.

If you really want to do law, consider retaking (168 is a great score, but you want to reach your potential) and apply next year.
Acceptances: UIUC, IUB, Fordham, W&L, OSU
WL: Notre Dame
Rejections: NYU, Northwestern

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 11:38:38 PM »
Really, really depends on where you want to live.