Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New England Law Boston or Barry University School of Law?  (Read 828 times)

wiseman

• View Profile
New England Law Boston or Barry University School of Law?
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:48:55 PM »
Hey guys. I've been accepted to both schools but Barry offered me a 50% tuition scholarship. i want to live in nh after i graduate and i realize that new england law will open more doors for me in the northeast than barry. My only concern with nesl is the debt i will acquire. It cost 40k per year. Woth the scholRship, barry will cost me 13k per year. My wife is going to work and i am going to take out a little extra to help pay bills. I have visited nesl. I enjoyed the experience and like the campus, location and library. I will he visiting barry in the next few weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts? Any suggestions? Im really not sure which school is going to open more doors for me if any. I like the idea of living in orlando and saving money. Im just worried that barry is a poor school. Thanks for any help

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: New England Law Boston or Barry University School of Law?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
Barry is going to make it very difficult for you to work in the North East.  But coming out with that much debt is going to be scary, unless you are in the top 10% of your law class.  Its definitely a conundrum. 

I have a friend who went out of market to a T4, and ended up working at the DA's office.  With less debt, you could break into the legal market this way.  Even if you want to do civil law, the trial experience you will get is very valuable to firms, and will open opportunities for a later lateral hire.  If you take this route, plan on spending your summers working/interning in the NE at courts or DA's office.  For a DA job, you aren't usually competing with the top law students.