Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulane/Wake, Penn State/Temple???, and some other wrinkles...  (Read 792 times)

wesangler

• View Profile
Hi all, long time reader first time poster. Basically I am mulling over where to send all my money this fall and am kinda struggling. I'll start by saying I am interested in environmental and international law, as well as government. After law school I could see myself working in my home state, PA, in a government agency or a public interest position. On the other hand, I would love the chance to pursue options in D.C. in government or in non profits associated with environmental regulation. All that being said, for what I want to do in PA, I am assuming Temple is the way to go, even if I eventually want to work in Harrisburg. Can anyone convince me to go to PSU? Finally, Tulane and Wake will cost me significantly more, do they have any sort of reach in that post law school I could take those J.D.'s back north to D.C. or PA? I lean Tulane because it just seems like they have incredible opportunities for clinical and pro bono work...Any insight on any of these topics would be greatly appreciated!

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tulane/Wake, Penn State/Temple???, and some other wrinkles...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:40:55 AM »
Temple has one of the best international law professors in the world(literally, he visited at HLS and was truly awesome both in the class room and as an academic) teaching  there.  I don't know anything about the rest of their faculty though. At any of these schools it will be critical to get top grades, make law review and get to know well connected faculty members while you are there to maximize your chances of getting a good job out of school, particularly in the non-PA markets.  I know one guy in big law in DC who went to a lower-ranked PA school so it can be done, but its uncommon.

HLS 2010

wesangler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 03:37:31 PM »
Thanks Bikepilot, thats really good stuff to know. I think I have narrowed it down to Tulane or Temple. Obviously two very different places that would set me up (at least for the start of my career) in very different situations. Basically I am wondering now if Tulane is national enough in scope to get me into the D.C. or Philly markets, preferably in a government agency (I am not too concerned with Biglaw). Tulane has awesome opportunities for environmental law and clinics that appeal to me, but is taking on that added debt (Temple is dirt cheap) worth it, especially if I have no interest in staying in NOLA after law school? Should I just ensure myself a job in Philly with Temple, and hope I can take experience into a government agency in PA or D.C. afterwards? (obviously all is contingent on a solid academic record in law school, as it should be).

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:20:48 PM »
You might ask Tulane to give you a list of the latest Fall and Spring OCI employers.  This should give you an idea of the opportunities coming out of Tulane.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 06:19:06 PM »
I rather doubt there is a huge practical difference between Tulane and Temple, especially in DC and areas not immediately local to either school.  I think I'd save the $$, go to Temple and do your absolute best to graduate at the very top of the class and be sure to take all the classes, seminars etc offer by top, well connected faculty members (their international law superstar in particular). A government job isn't usually going to pay enough to allow you to pay back the type of student loans you'll end up with paying full ticket if you don't have the cash to pay for law school outright.
HLS 2010