Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: applying next yr with a low gpa  (Read 658 times)

ssh720

• View Profile
applying next yr with a low gpa
« on: March 03, 2011, 01:59:44 AM »
Hello,  I recently graduated from University of California, Davis with a 2.3 GPA. My first three years of undergrad have been a downfall and I have gotten dismissed from the university for it and later readmitted back in. I have had a history of depression and issues with my family at the time. I don't want to use them as an excuse to justify my awful grades, but they did play a major part in my life. My last year and a half of school however reflects a GPA of 3.5 with grades nothing lower than a A's and B's, and these grades were all achieved in my difficult upper division courses. I have changed my life around drastically, and I would now like to pursue a career in law. My only main setback is my cumulative GPA (2.3) that reflects all 4 years of my undergrad, not just the last year of good grades. I am planning to take the LSAT next February, so I am giving myself plenty of time to study for it and will dedicate 100% of my life into preparing for this examination. What are my chances of getting into law school (depending on my LSAT scores)? If so, do I even have the chance of getting into the top 100 law schools?

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: applying next yr with a low gpa
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:41:23 AM »
You will definitely have to explain your low GPA.  You obviously know that your LSAT is going to be HUGE.  If you don't get into the mid-160's, you might consider another undergrad degree to raise your UGPA.  A second bachelors degree (that you can use in the job market if you don't get into the school you want), will count towards raising your GPA.  Graduate programs don't count.

The big problem on top 100, is that the schools report UGPA/LSAT of admitted students.  These reports are used to calculate rankings.  You might have a shot if your LSAT is super high.  Make sure to maintain relationships with the professors who will write your LOR.  Good recommendations are going to be very important. 

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: applying next yr with a low gpa
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 09:54:18 AM »
I think MP is right - you should have a shot but you'll need an excellent LSAT (try really hard for 170 plus), a convincing letter explaining your situation and LORs that explicitly target your situation and stress why the law school should weight more heavily the last-half of your UG performance.  The typical LOR that says Student X got an A in my class and would be a great asset bla bla bla isn't going to cut it.

HLS 2010