Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I hate to whine, but I am really fed up with the LSAC... Gonna get an online JD  (Read 892 times)

LSATFailure2011

• View Profile
The worst decision I have ever made in my life thus far was the decision to apply to Law School.

Four months ago, I was fresh out of college and enjoying life. I had a job, a girlfriend, hobbies, etc.....

When I decided that I would try law school I'd never imagined the negative effect that it would have on me as a person.

I have spent all my free time studying for a stupid test that I don't have the capability of doing well on. In the process I have performed poorly at work, lost my girlfriend, and have become lazy and unmotivated. 

I have dropped over a thousand dollars on the LSAT, CAG, Transcripts, and test material

The LSAC refuses to authorize my transcript, because I took a class for shits and kicks during the summer of my junior year that had no impact on my overall GPA or graduation at a different institution.

Lawyers are a dime a dozen anyway..... I mean, the law is the law..... It's not open for interpretation....

I'm giving up on this crap...... I'm going to University of Pheonix law..... I'm going to take my classes online.... Earn a JD on my own time....

Who needs the ABA? Also... How about all the law school urging me to apply, only so they can reject me and boost their percentages? I don't mind if a Tier 4 school does that, but when I see schools like Notre Dame and William and Mary trying to trick me into applying, I had to reply "Go @#!* yourselves, you aren't getting any of my money"!!!!

I'm not going to spend my entire life studying for a test that you can't study for. I'm ready to LEARN MATERIAL....

I'm not going to continue pouring money into an industry that wants me to fail....

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The law IS open to interpretation, but no matter...

Why even bother with an online JD?  Save yourself the time and heartburn and just walk away - that's OK.  It's not a bad thing to be feeling some contempt toward law and law schools... law schools ARE contemptable.

IMO, your time, money, and effort would be better spent on a Master's or other type of post-graduate work, not law.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
The worst decision I have ever made in my life thus far was the decision to apply to Law School....

When I decided that I would try law school I'd never imagined the negative effect that it would have on me as a person.

I have spent all my free time studying for a stupid test that I don't have the capability of doing well on. In the process I have performed poorly at work, lost my girlfriend, and have become lazy and unmotivated. 

You think applying to law school is bad?  Try actually going to law school, taking exams, and busting ass to be in the top % of your class - then rinse and repeat for three years.  Imagine the negative impact that would have on your life.

I have dropped over a thousand dollars on the LSAT, CAG, Transcripts, and test material...

Again, chances are, you'll drop at least $75K on law school.  The LSAT is mere pennies in comparison.

Lawyers are a dime a dozen anyway..... I mean, the law is the law..... It's not open for interpretation....

The first sentence is true.  The second is not.  Different facts lend themselves to different interpretations of the law.  I see it every day.

I'm not going to spend my entire life studying for a test that you can't study for. I'm ready to LEARN MATERIAL....

Good luck with that.  Even in law school, the ball is hidden from you, and most times, you don't fully comprehend the law until you take a bar review course.

My advice:
It seems you took the LSAT and are awaiting results.  If your LSAT results will only get you into T4 schools and online law schools, don't bother applying this cycle.  As the poster above me said, save yourself the heartburn and stop applying.  If, at some later date, you become more enthusiastic about the practice of law, retake the LSAT, get a good score, and then apply.  You'll thank me for this advice later.  The LSAT is a very serious thing - do well on it so that you can either (1) get into a T1 or T2 school, or (2) pull as much scholarship money from a T2, T3, or T4 that you can.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
I hope you live in CA, and want to stay there.  That's the only place you have a shot at practicing with an on-line degree.  And, you have to pass an extra bar exam along with the real one. 

If the law was just the law, we wouldn't need lawyers.  All you would need would be a computer program or other neutral party to apply the law.  Unfortunately it is a bit more complicated than that. 

It sounds like you need to seriously reconsider whether or not you would enjoy being a lawyer.