Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What to do in the fall...  (Read 757 times)

ccola724

• View Profile
What to do in the fall...
« on: March 01, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks for your help.  So far I've been accepted to BC, UC Hastings, UConn, Brooklyn Law, and wait listed at Fordham.  I still have applications pending at my reaches (UCLA and Northwestern).  Assuming that I don't get into either of the reaches, I think I am leaning toward either BC or Hastings, and would like some input. 

Ultimately, I would like to end up in back in NYC (I'm a Fordham undergrad).  I realize that both BC and Hastings place pretty well in their respective home cities, and I would likely get a job right out of law school in either Boston or San Fran.  How easy would it be to lateral from a big firm in Boston or San Fran to an office in NY.  Would it be easier to do this from Boston, as BC is a better known school out here?  Would it be crazy to pick Hastings over BC as it is lower ranked?

I'm also interested in getting into private international law, which I understand is a pretty vague concept and pretty difficult to get into anyway.   Do you think that BC or Hastings would have an advantage in that field? 

Any input is greatly appreciated!

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What to do in the fall...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:22:12 AM »
First, biglaw is a long shot at either of those schools.  Some BC and Hastings grads make biglaw, but its a pretty small percentage.  If thats your goal you need to go into law school prepared to work your butt off, get on law review, make top grades and network with everyone you can.

Next, if you want to end up in NYC you are probably better off starting there.  From what I've seen its easier to nabb a NYC Biglaw job than a SF or Boston Biglaw job.  NYC hires a huge number of new associates and compared to how many it hires it doesn't generate a huge number.  You've basically got NYU and Columbia.  In Boston you've got HLS, BC, BU and probably a dozen more lower ranked schools with students contending for a dramatically smaller market.  If you do go to Boston or SF right out of law school try to go to a firm with a big NY office as that'll make the transfer much easier.

good luck!

HLS 2010