Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Low LSAT, Okay GPA .... Where Do I Start?  (Read 2259 times)

DeeRiddle

• View Profile
Low LSAT, Okay GPA .... Where Do I Start?
« on: February 28, 2011, 12:03:13 AM »
I received a 144 on my LSAT, I studied for months and was scoring (High 150's) on my practice tests both on my own and in my class. I don't know what happened on game day but I just flat out bombed. No excuses. My GPA is decent. I have 3.5 and I know by the end of this semester I will get a 3.6. I have a good amount of volunteer hours and I'm active in my school community ( Sorority,  Honors Society President etc) and my church.

I've already been accepted to Thomas M. Cooley on a full ride. I was wait-listed at Mississippi College.

I've applied to and waiting to hear back from:

Ava Maria
Florida A& M
Mercer University
St. Thomas in Florida
South Texas College of Law
Phoenix School of Law
New York Law
Dayton
Loyola ( New Orleans)

So my questions are: 

Is there anywhere else I should apply that I would stand a chance of getting in? I've stalked Law School Numbers but I find it hard to compare. There were a few people with my score but they were nontraditional, a minority or had Military Experience. Or all three. So I found it hard to compare myself realistically.

And, my second question is Cooley worth going to on a full ride? I've talked to some students who compare it to Survivor and say that transferring from there is extremely hard. Which makes me leery, though the lack of debt is extremely appealing.

The school I really want to go to is University of Detroit Mercy ( because of their dual degree with Canada and they are Roman Catholic.)I visited Law School Numbers but again found it hard to compare. Is it likely that I will stand a chance during Applications or should I not waste the money.

And lastly any sage words of advice? ( besides retake. I'm just testing my options right now. For all but two of the schools I applied to I have received fee waivers. If I don't like my chances I will retake.)

Thanks for all the help in advance. I appreciate any and all advice that ya'll are willing to give.)

bold-aslove

• View Profile
Re: Low LSAT, Okay GPA .... Where Do I Start?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 12:08:46 AM »
i know this isn't what you want to hear, but I say retake the lsat, even if it means not going to law school this year.

going to cooley isn't the best idea, my friend graduated from there and can't find a job for the life of him (plus, he said it's something along the lines of survivor...so many people get accepted and then drop like flies)

good luck   :-\

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:10:18 AM »
I also suggest that you retake the LSAT.  It is not easy to transfer in law school and what school you graduate from is important.  If you were scoring in the high 150's then you really dont want to accept a mid 140, take it again and aim for a 160.  Even with a 158/3.6 gpa you might be able to get into a lower tier one school.

DeeRiddle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »
I appreciate the advice from you both and the well luck wishes.

My question now becomes if I retake the LSAT (most likely in October) will Law Schools look down on me? As of today, I'm 21. Would my chances decrease if I took a year off in between college graduation and Law School?

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:04:45 PM »
Your chances won't be decreased by taking a year off.

You are in a small group of people for whom retaking the LSAT is worth considering.

IMO, you should retake in October.    With a 8+ point improvement, your chances at the schools where you have applied will go up.  You should carefully consider choosing a school in a place that you want to live and practice after law school.  Degrees from outside the local market put you at a big disadvantage.

Specks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 04:26:29 PM »
Re-taking the LSAT is definitely an option. Also, taking a year off won't be a negative thing. I did it and got into a T1 just fine. Bit of advice if you do decide on attending a school offering scholarships (full ride or otherwise), be careful of the conditions. For example, a lot of them state you have to be in the top X percent or maintain a certain GPA. For GPA, you'll want to figure out what kind of curve your scholarship school grades under. If say, a 3.00 is required, but the school grades on a C curve, you would have to be way above average to get a 3.00. So be wary and do your homework. Good luck!