Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are contractions acceptable?  (Read 1787 times)

ReywaL2011

• View Profile
Are contractions acceptable?
« on: February 24, 2011, 10:56:43 PM »
For instance, can I say, "I'm rather than I am?  Or, There're  instead of there are, etc., etc.?

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Are contractions acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:10:49 PM »
What are you in an english as a second language class? ???

Yeah, dude contractions are fine. Once you let LSR you will learn that not only that, but you can start a sentence with And/But.

Give it a few years and "legal writing" will be in pure urbonics.  ::)

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 08:54:08 AM »
You shouldn't use contractions.  You should actually start sentences with And/But despite what the above poster might have learned in elementary school.  Justice Roberts does it all the time and done properly it can be quite useful.
HLS 2010

writetrack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
Formal and polished English should comprise the content of your personal statement.  Therefore, contractions are not acceptable, and furthermore, evidence a lack of professionalism.  There are exceptions: for instance, if you are using a quote.  However, veer far from using contractions.

Please contact me directly at info@writetrackadmissions.com, if you have any further questions about the personal statement, or the admissions process at large. 

Burhop

• Sr. Citizen
  • Editor girl @ Northwestern University
    • View Profile
    • I Edit Stuff.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 04:06:53 PM »
The personal statement is not meant to be a formal piece of writing - it's meant to shed light on your character. Avoiding contractions could affect the tone of your essay in an adverse way, depending on the topic at hand. If it is a light, or friendly topic, contraction use is perfectly okay. The goal is not to sound too serious. Don't use contractions in your resume/CV, however - Dani
Lit Journal Editor, Grants Administrator, Poet, Girl about town
www.northwestessay.com