Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When should i apply for fall 2012?  (Read 2297 times)

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
When should i apply for fall 2012?
« on: February 24, 2011, 09:10:36 PM »
The main obstacle here is my upward sloping UGPA.  right now it is a 3.19 and it will probably be a 3.30 after the spring assuming i get another 3.9+ GPA this semester (i got all A's on the first wave of tests.)  However, if i wait until after fall 2011 semester to end, near new years 2012, and get another 3.9 GPA my UGPA will go up to 3.38 (this is likely)
I am registered for June LSAT and will be ready by then (already scoring near 160 on preptests) but i could take it again in October.
So when should i apply?  Is a .05-.08 increase in UGPA worth waiting until late December?
Im a junior and an accounting major if that is relevant

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: When should i apply for fall 2012?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »
When you get through law school, you will quickly learn that almost all questions should be answered "It depends."

In that spirit  :), your question depends on where you want to go to law school and what your LSAT ends up being.  Do you know what LSAT you need for it not to matter?  Most law schools use an admission index that includes your UGPA, but is weighted more heavily to the LSAT score. 

Applying by Nov 1 can give you an edge if you have a competitive application.  You could be a "presumptive admit" in early Nov, but a discretionary application in December.  It is too early to tell, but you should plan on being ready to apply by late October.  You can always hold a complete application.

If you want some more info on this, message me privately and I will be glad to send you some.