Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Graduating with terrible grades (2.7 or so) from a t10 in May  (Read 6993 times)

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Graduating with terrible grades (2.7 or so) from a t10 in May
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2011, 11:53:08 AM »
If HR was as simple as I stated, they wouldn't need an employee. 

But, employment law won't be rocket science.  As far as dealing with the complexities of OSHA regs, the job would usually fall to a safety director or industrial hygienist.  If you can read a statute, and you have a 20 minute understanding of the penalties/remedies associated with employment law, you will be fine. 

T10 is an URM for JAG Corp. 

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2011, 02:53:48 PM »
As for JAG, good recommendation.  A top 10 school will undoubtedly help. However, keep in mind that JAG positions are extremely competitive right now.  This is not a refuge for people with no other options.  I wouldn't say it's as competitive as biglaw, but probably on par with trying to get a federal position.

Not to burst the OP's bubble (I would still apply), however, I don't believe that attending a top 10 school - in itself - will help too much with JAG.  It is my understanding that JAG typically selects the top performers at any given law school, regardless of the school's rank.  I believe JAG prepares a document every year showing the respective schools of its hired classes.  From what I recall, regional schools fared quite well in the selection process.

Nevertheless, the economy does seem to be picking up for entry-level and lateral hiring.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2011, 03:41:26 PM »
Not to burst the OP's bubble (I would still apply), however, I don't believe that attending a top 10 school - in itself - will help too much with JAG.  It is my understanding that JAG typically selects the top performers at any given law school, regardless of the school's rank.  I believe JAG prepares a document every year showing the respective schools of its hired classes.  From what I recall, regional schools fared quite well in the selection process.

That really makes a lot of sense.  It isn't generally the military's practice to differentiate much between schools.  Basic accreditation is usually all they look for.  Their policies tend to be a one-size fits all approach with a broad policy that leads to consistent decision making that can be delegated down to a relatively low level.

Nevertheless, the economy does seem to be picking up for entry-level and lateral hiring.

That's good news.  IT's an (almost imperceptibly) slow economic recovery, but it is still a recovery.

kill me

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 08:34:20 AM »
Thanks, Jimmy, John and Mike.  I have indeed thought about going back to the Army, though I missed at least my earlier opportunities for interviews, etc.  It really would be a last resort for me because I went to law school precisely so that I'd have good opportunities outside the military. 

There's no doubt a great amount of pride and satisfaction in serving your country in uniform, and the young people that join are often a fun and inspiring bunch.

That being said, the Army involves a lot of moving around and living in very remote areas for extended periods of time, even when you're stateside.  The overseas slots aren't as plentiful or as nice as they used to be, either.  It's also a bureaucracy like no other, and an all-consuming lifestyle that alienates you from the rest of society.

In other words, it's something I'm glad I did, but not sure I want to do again. 

I also agree that the Army couldn't ever give a damn where you went to school.  When I was in, there was a sort of anti-elitism, where people who went to private schools were sneered at and assumed to think themselves superior to everyone else.

Thanks again for the advice to all who provided it.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »
11 years for a full pension might be worth moving around and putting up with the crap.