Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Graduating with terrible grades (2.7 or so) from a t10 in May  (Read 6806 times)

kill me

Re: Graduating with terrible grades (2.7 or so) from a t10 in May
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 05:20:13 PM »
I am not a drug user.  I tried pot maybe six times in high school, then twice after I got out of the Army, before starting law school.  I have no fear of being drug tested for a job; I went through random testing for nine years as a soldier without gripes; I will resume testing if required of me. 

I don't like how the current drug "war" is being prosecuted because it treats addicts (people with a medical problem) and casual users like criminals, and ignores that people often enter the drug trade because there are no promising employment educational and employment opportunities where they live.  Virtually no "drug war" money is allocated either to medical treatment for addiction; or trade/educational/employment opportunities for young, low level dealers.

I believe in immigration regulation, just not how it is currently carried out.  Huge sectors of our economy are dependent upon inexpensive, strenuous, low-wage employment that native-born Americans simply refuse to do.  People come from the southern border to do this work, and often begin to share in the American Dream, then can be treated like criminals and uprooted and lose years of investment of hard labor.  All because the immigration system is designed to keep out everyone but those who fit narrowly-drawn categories, often for little reason than pure politics.  (Hard-working campesino from Mexico who wants to create a better life for your family but don't meet one of the categories?  Sorry, please pay a bunch of money you don't have to enter the lottery, where your chances of getting a visa are about equivalent to winning the NY Lottery.  Oh, you're from Cuba?  Lucky you, because your compatriots donated a ton of money to Reagan, et al., you automatically get a visa when you turn up on our shores).  The immigration fees alone are ridiculous; I've done the visa paperwork for loved ones, and it's costed them over $2K in filing fees alone.  Imagine if the cases were difficult and would have required a real immigration lawyer.  "Give me your tired, your poor," indeed.

I didn't start this thread to engage in political discourse, though.   It was to ask for career advice.  I won't answer any more questions about my political or social beliefs.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 07:00:52 PM »
You consider $2k "outrageous" to become an american? ???

I don't think anyone should be allowed to move here unless they either
1) Are married/adopted by an american
2) Serve in the military for at least 4 years(less if combat related injury)
3) Have a degree in a field that we have a SHORTAGE of workers of in the nation. I don't mind someone coming in with a PHD in advanced neural science, but another minimum wage worker cloggin the already full system? How does that help america?

Would you let a random person live in your house for free and pay them to do it?(welfare)
Then would should the USA?

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 07:07:07 PM »

I didn't start this thread to engage in political discourse, though.   It was to ask for career advice.  I won't answer any more questions about my political or social beliefs.

Ok, but you shot down the options given to you by others for said beliefs. Factor that in I guess. I wouldn't expect much more career advice than you've been give thus far. For someone who was lucky to even graduate, you sure seem self rightous there guy.  :-X

kill me

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:13 PM »
Like I said, I'm not going to use this forum for political discussion.  That's not it's purpose.  It's purpose is to discuss the 3L job search.  I got some good advice, and will take it into account.  I got some advice that, while appreciated, I am not going to act on because of my beliefs.  I didn't "shoot" that advice "down."  I even thanked the person who provided it.  You asked me about my beliefs that keep me from acting on some of the advice, and I responded. 

You can say I'm "lucky to even graduate."  I say that I'm a hard worker of modest talents in the legal field, and that I've sacrificed my whole young adult life for those opportunities that I've had and
for my country.  You say that I'm "self righteous."  I say that I have ideals that I try to live by, even though I might be naive to think that I can do so.

I will not respond to any more posts that do not provide actual advice concerning what a 3L from a T10 can expect in the search for a job in public service.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
my whole young adult life

There is no such thing.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 04:25:31 PM »
I wouldn't make a lot of decisions in your current state.  Sounds to me like you're stressed and worn out.

Get your degree, then go be a park ranger or something.  Clear your head.

Whether you accept it or not, a degree from a T10, even if you're dead last in your class, is a great credential that most people in society wish they had. 

I'd do something that lets you relax for a while.  You may see things differently after a little time away from the grind.

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 04:27:47 PM »
Also, in my not so expert opinion, the one area of business that corresponds best to a law degree is human resources.  That area is full of regulatory compliance and labor law type issues.

That having been said, it's going to be sort of hard to frame your law degree that way.

Also, there are drawbacks to HR.  For one thing, most companies use it to advance URM and females to executive ranks so they can brag about more URM and female executives.

Also, starting pay is low, but frankly, I don't think the competition is that tough.  You can advance quickly in a big organization.

kill me

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 05:20:46 AM »
Thanks FalconJimmy.  Good advice.  I've heard the human resources thing before, but only tangentially.  Wish I'd taken labor law, but I didn't really think about it being useful for anything I'd want to do until now.  Sorry it took me a while to respond; I didn't think I'd get any more responses, so I'd stopped checking.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »
Taking labor or employment wouldn't have really helped you much for HR, the law is simple.  You can pick it up very quickly.  Basic employment law is that you can't discriminate based on race, sex, color, national origin, religion, disability or age if over 40.  Basic labor law is that if the employer violates collective bargining laws, there isn't much downside for them.   

But, you might be overlooking a killer option--JAG.  You were in the military for 9 years, which means that you could serve 11  years in JAG corp. and get a full retirement.  That income could free you up to do whatever kind of job you want. 

FalconJimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2011, 10:16:59 AM »
Taking labor or employment wouldn't have really helped you much for HR, the law is simple.  You can pick it up very quickly.  Basic employment law is that you can't discriminate based on race, sex, color, national origin, religion, disability or age if over 40.  Basic labor law is that if the employer violates collective bargining laws, there isn't much downside for them.   

I agree that taking labor law isn't a make or break, here.  Hiring issues are one facet.  However, HR people are dealing with regulatory compliance nearly every day.  Not just hiring decisions and union contracts, but everything from HIPAA to OSHA to everything in-between.  They're interacting with the law to a very high degree on an almost daily basis.

As for JAG, good recommendation.  A top 10 school will undoubtedly help. However, keep in mind that JAG positions are extremely competitive right now.  This is not a refuge for people with no other options.  I wouldn't say it's as competitive as biglaw, but probably on par with trying to get a federal position.