Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Character and Fitness advice, please.  (Read 1258 times)

xiolablue

• View Profile
Need Character and Fitness advice, please.
« on: February 23, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
So I am a 1L in Illinois filing out the application to the bar. Im just gonna put it right out there and say I worked in the legal brothels in Nevada over a number years. I am not sure how and if to disclose this. I was otherwise employed most of the time while doing this, so there are no obvious unexplainable gaps in my employment history. I believe the only way they would know is if they looked at my actual tax returns. I was registered with the sheriff's department as a worker, but have had background checks to work with kids since and nothing came up.
I am wondering a) if it is really necessary to disclose this (i know probably yes)
                             b) if i just plop the info in there with my employment history or if I include it under the catchall "anything else which could call into question your character and fitness for practice
                             c)what kind of angle would be most effective when writing/discussing this issue with the committee (ie. it was totally legal so shouldnt be an issue or I was a deviant but have changed my ways, or other)

Thanks for your input!

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: Need Character and Fitness advice, please.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
I would include in your employment history under the legal name of the employer and be creative on your job discription to give it a benign appearance.

I would not include it under things that would call into question your character. 

If they do call it into question, I my thought is to take a hybrid approach.  Just say, when I was young and stupid, I was young and stupid.  I din't break any applicable laws. 

Good luck. 

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
You could always call the bar office and ask them.  I don't know how sneaky you want to be about it, but my state bar admissions office never asked my name when I've had questions about my application.

xiolablue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:07:12 PM »
Thank you for your input, that is just what I am going to do. The state bar office would not talk to me anonymously, but I did speak with  a dean at my school (using vague terms) and he said something very similar. I didn't even think of just using the business' name, that feels a lot less embarrassing.

Thanks a bunch!

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
Why the concern about a LAWFUL job on character and fitness?  Think about it.  Like what we lawyers do is any different...