Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I'M SLOWLY LOSING MY MIND!!!!!  (Read 781 times)

atldboi

• View Profile
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I'M SLOWLY LOSING MY MIND!!!!!
« on: February 23, 2011, 02:06:59 AM »
Hi guys, first post on this website. here's my conundrum: i've been accepted to syracuse, georgia state, and miami (fl). syracuse is offering me a $27,000 scholarship if i keep a 2.8, georgia state is giving me in state tuition (im from atlanta), and miami is giving me nothing. really this is between syracuse and georgia state, unless miami surprises me with some $$$. so my question is, what do you guys think? i havent thought about where i want to live once im done, ive lived in georgia for almost my whole life. i graduated from the university of georgia, so im really familiar with the area, but this offer from syracuse is mighty tempting. to be honest, i dont know much about the school. i really only applied bc it has a prestigious undergrad school and carmelo anthony went there, other than that, im pretty inexperienced when it comes to 'cuse. can any grads give me some info? can i find work outside of upstate new york? say i want to come back to georgia will a syracuse degree hurt my chances? will it help? what about georgia state.... am i pretty much limited to georgia for good work?
sorry to ask so many questions, but ive lost so much sleep i finally decided to get advice from strangers. georgia state vs. syracuse, who would have ever thought......... thanks for ur responses in advance guys.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I'M SLOWLY LOSING MY MIND!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 01:24:15 PM »
I think it depends on what kind of job you are envisioning after law school, and where you want to live.  You would probably have a better shot at GA Bigfirms with the GA State. If you are not aiming for the prestige and big $, syracuse might not hurt.  I dont think the difference in ranking is that significant in general. 

Have you done the math to see how much each school will actually cost you?  If I didn't aspire to BigFirm, I would go to NY if it would save me 25K or more.  If I was thinking BigFirm, I would definitely stay in GA.   

Markro

• View Profile
Re: SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME, I'M SLOWLY LOSING MY MIND!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:44:44 PM »
I know a few recent graduates of Syracuse and am familiar with upstate New York. Syracuse is very expensive for its ranking in U.S. News and World Report (86), with tuition of approximately $43,500. It appears that even with the money offered, it is more expensive than Georgia State (ranked higher at 60) if charged in-state tuition. In addition, Syracuse grades on a low curve, so it may not be easy to retain the scholarship funds. I have been told by recent Syracuse grads that Syracuse and the surrounding area are depressed economically, so it is not a great place to look for work after graduation. Syracuse will probably open some doors in other areas of upstate New York, but upstate is generally economically challenged. Syracuse has too much competition to place well in New York City.

If you enjoy the south and Georgia in particular, Georgia State seems like a better choice.  My cousin graduated from Georgia State and was able to expeditously find legal work in the area.