Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer from Cooley  (Read 3132 times)

Trane32

• View Profile
Transfer from Cooley
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:54:33 AM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to transfer from Cooley to a T1 if I am in the top 10% of my class?? Any success stories would be greatly appreciated, and will make me feel a lot better about my chances!!  Thank you in advance, and I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

NonTradInSATX

• Alea Iacta Est
    • View Profile
Re: Transfer from Cooley
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:09:37 AM »
There are numerous examples of people transferring into the T1/2 from T3/4.

Where are you looking location/rank wise?
Military Officer separating, 1L fall 2011

San Antonio, TX

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:12:30 AM »
Depends on where you want to transfer. Could the best worker at Mcdonalds transfer to Burger king? Sure thing.
Does it make any difference? No.

There are numerous examples of people transferring into the T1/2 from T3/4.

Where are you looking location/rank wise?

Trane32

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 01:00:20 PM »
Thank you very much for the replies!  I am actually looking to transfer to Ole Miss, or Pepperdine law.  I know that those are two very different schools as far as rank and location are concerned, but those are the two places that I actually want to practice. (I have family close to both)  I'm just a little nervous because of all the Cooley bashing that I have noticed.  I realize that Cooley is not the premier law school in the nation, but I was hoping that I could attend there for my first year with a scholarship, and then transfer to my school of choice.  Also, I completely understand that going to law school with the intent of transfer is not a smart move!!  My only problem is that my undergrad GPA was a little bit low, and I didn't get into either school on my first attempt.  Do you guys think it might be possible?  Are either of these schools transfer friendly?  Thank you for all of your help and advice!

Trane32

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
FSU and ASU are also on my list for similar reasons.  (forgot to add those in my previous post. Sorry!)

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 01:05:36 PM »
Pepperdine is pretty prestigeous. (still apply though)

Your best bet is the MuddyRiver state school though.
Speak some Cajun and poke a dead gator with a stick, you'll be ok.  8)

Thank you very much for the replies!  I am actually looking to transfer to Ole Miss, or Pepperdine law.  I know that those are two very different schools as far as rank and location are concerned, but those are the two places that I actually want to practice. (I have family close to both)  I'm just a little nervous because of all the Cooley bashing that I have noticed.  I realize that Cooley is not the premier law school in the nation, but I was hoping that I could attend there for my first year with a scholarship, and then transfer to my school of choice.  Also, I completely understand that going to law school with the intent of transfer is not a smart move!!  My only problem is that my undergrad GPA was a little bit low, and I didn't get into either school on my first attempt.  Do you guys think it might be possible?  Are either of these schools transfer friendly?  Thank you for all of your help and advice!

Trane32

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:11:56 PM »
hahaha.. thank you for the advice!! Both of my parents are alumni from Ole Miss, so hopefully that will help.  I noticed on LSN that they only had 3 people transfer in though.. that doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »
Yes - I know of transfers into a T14 school.  He was kicking some serious @$$ gradewise and booking nearly every class - 4.0 I believe.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 03:01:14 PM »
Check with the school, but some give extra status to what they call "legacies" and if your parents BOTH went there, you'd be thatX2.
It might help a lot actually. Worth looking into.

hahaha.. thank you for the advice!! Both of my parents are alumni from Ole Miss, so hopefully that will help.  I noticed on LSN that they only had 3 people transfer in though.. that doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy!

Trane32

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 04:57:26 PM »
I have actually heard of the "legacy" thing, and I will definitely check that out!  Even though Ole Miss doesn't necessarily have a national presence, it does have strong local ties which would help me out tremendously!  Thank you!!

Hamilton - You know someone who transferred from Cooley to a T14?  That's extremely impressive!  That makes me feel a lot better just knowing that.  Do you know what school he/she transferred to?