Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transfer from Cooley  (Read 2914 times)

kjw5029

• View Profile
Re: Transfer from Cooley
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 11:40:55 PM »
I transferred out of Cooley last year into a T2 in a location I wanted to practice.  I'll tell you this; I applied to Pepperdine and did not get in.  I can't remember how many transfers they take off the top of my head, but it wasn't many (it may be helpful for you to check this). I applied to a handful of T1 schools, most of which I didn't expect to get into because they are pretty popular schools.  I'm not saying don't apply to Pepperdine, but if you choose to do so, I would apply as early as possible. 

FYI I was in the top 3% at the end of my first year at Cooley. 

If you want more information about how I did it or what I think (since I've stood exactly in your shoes), feel free to send me a private message. 

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 12:11:31 AM »
So what do you think?  Is there an observable difference/improvement in quality of education/students between T4 and T2?

I transferred out of Cooley last year into a T2 in a location I wanted to practice.  I'll tell you this; I applied to Pepperdine and did not get in.  I can't remember how many transfers they take off the top of my head, but it wasn't many (it may be helpful for you to check this). I applied to a handful of T1 schools, most of which I didn't expect to get into because they are pretty popular schools.  I'm not saying don't apply to Pepperdine, but if you choose to do so, I would apply as early as possible. 

FYI I was in the top 3% at the end of my first year at Cooley. 

If you want more information about how I did it or what I think (since I've stood exactly in your shoes), feel free to send me a private message.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 01:13:14 AM »
Well that is tough to gauge.  My new school offers so many more classes in my concentration than Cooley did.  In that respect, educational quality has increased greatly from the T4 to T2.  I suspect you are wondering more about teachers and classes in general though.  I liked my teachers at Cooley and they were all very knowledgeable.    Many came from well respected schools themselves like UM.  I can say the same about professors here. 

As for the students, they are probably a bit more intelligent on average here.  They don't work quite as hard, but they don't have to because the school doesn't require every test be 100% closed book.  I spend most of my time with other transfers though, so my perception is based entirely on grade distributions and student responses in class.  Is this the type of response you were looking for?  If not, feel free to clarify.   

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »
why do you mostly hang out with other transfers? Is everyone else already in their cliche?
Well that is tough to gauge.  My new school offers so many more classes in my concentration than Cooley did.  In that respect, educational quality has increased greatly from the T4 to T2.  I suspect you are wondering more about teachers and classes in general though.  I liked my teachers at Cooley and they were all very knowledgeable.    Many came from well respected schools themselves like UM.  I can say the same about professors here. 

As for the students, they are probably a bit more intelligent on average here.  They don't work quite as hard, but they don't have to because the school doesn't require every test be 100% closed book.  I spend most of my time with other transfers though, so my perception is based entirely on grade distributions and student responses in class.  Is this the type of response you were looking for?  If not, feel free to clarify.   

Trane32

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »
KJW - Thank you for your response!  That makes me feel a LOT better!!

So you're saying there's a chance!!!!!!  8)

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 02:45:32 PM »
Everyone here was very open to meeting new ppl, especially when I first got here.  The thing is, the first people you meet when you transfers are other transfers (bc of transfer orientation).  It just happened that way.  I went out and hung out with a bunch of students who started here, but it's probably more difficult to break into the scene like that when everyone else has a 1yr start on you.  In reality, the reason I am in closer contact with transfers is because I met them at orientation and we had similar class schedules.  It may not be the same for everyone. 

why do you mostly hang out with other transfers? Is everyone else already in their cliche?