Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: which law school is better for international student?  (Read 403 times)

shouhu

• View Profile
    • Email
which law school is better for international student?
« on: February 20, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »
I am an international student. I planed to go to law school for JD last year. Now, I have received severl admission letters. But I don't konw where to go. Please help me make a decision.
I konw it is very hard for international law student to find work in the USA, so I intend to come back after graduate. Therefore, the most important thing for me is that the school whether can provide some program to support international student, because I am not a native speaker, I am afraid that I can not catch up with courses, especially legal writing.
This is the school list(only gave me scholarship or Tier2)
Lewis AND Clark (no scholarship)
Santa Clara University(I don't know now)
Creighton university (offered me a three-quarter scholarship(22000) renewable so long as I maintain a full-time student in acdemic good standing)
University of Arkansas at little rock (gave me more than 50% scholarship(15000 per year) renewable as long as I maintain Top60%)
University oF the PACIFIC(gave me 10000 per year renewable so long as I maintain Top 3)
Wayne State University (gave me 13000 per year renewable so long as I maintain GPA 3.25)
Washburn University (gave me 16000 per year renewable so long as I maintain GPA 3)
Earle Mack School Of Law, Drexel University( gave me 5000 per year renewable so long as I maintain GPA 2.95)
Thanks very much.

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: which law school is better for international student?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 01:19:37 PM »
As far as I am aware (and I haven't checked with any of those schools specifically) law schools generally don't offer language assistance and expect that you are already pretty good with the English language.  It might be useful for you to live/work in an English-speaking country for a year or two before starting law school.  Also, don't hesitate to call the admissions offices of the schools to which you've been accepted and simply ask them what they offer.  Note that competition can be quite stiff in US law schools and maintaining the GPA requirements for the scholarships may be very difficult - particularly if you must try to learn the language better while trying to learn the law as well.

good luck!
HLS 2010