Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T3 to T2  (Read 2789 times)

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
Re: T3 to T2
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 01:02:20 PM »
Thanks to everyone for replying.  If RU doesn't work out, would Seton Hall, NYLS or Pace be worth the $$?  From my own research it seems as if those schools are shockingly expensive and transfer students get $0.00 in scholarship, even if you roll in there with a high GPA. I really dislike where I am now location wise and am confident that the connections made there will be of no help down the road.   

Any other advice on RU transfer admission?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 04:10:27 PM »
Hard to say, but I think it is generally true that location is the most important thing to consider when choosing your school. With an ABA degree you can end up anywhere, but I imagine 90% people end up around the area they went to school in. If you hate the location you are in then it is probably a good idea to transfer.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 12:13:34 AM »
People often end up near the location they go to school because practitioners often like to recruit students who went to the same school they did.  That's my perception at least. 

The OP said something about getting a scholarship to the school you transfer to because you had a high GPA at your first school. I have never heard of this happening.  Is this something that actually occurs?  Seems to me if you apply to transfer to the school, you want to leave your school and go to the new one.  They wouldn't need to entice you to come by offering a scholarship.  I just never heard of this happening and am curious if it ever does. 

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 11:55:24 AM »

" From my own research it seems as if those schools are shockingly expensive and transfer students get $0.00 in scholarship, even if you roll in there with a high GPA"
--Meaning that transfer students do not get money as a general rule.  I agree, I have never heard of anyone getting a dime to transfer in to a law school. Transfer are, in part, a financial move on part of law school to replace enrollment lost through attrition.  It would be counterintuitive to offer those students money.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 03:39:32 PM »
Yeah agreed.  I just read your words in a slightly different light.  I agree though.  There is no point for a school to give a transfer student a discount when the same student would likely pay full price  :o

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »
FYI-- Met with both Rutgers and Seton Hall.  RU standards are high for transfer students, successful applicants have a 3.3 while Seton Hall remains closer to a 3.0.  I was very impressed with Seton Hall.
Anyone have information on NYLS, Pace or St Johns?

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2011, 11:38:58 PM »
Hi all-- Sorry to keep an old threat alive.  After getting my final grades back, I have a 3.3 and am in the top 15% of the class. Anyone know have any idea why my legitimate chances are at Fordham Law or Rutgers Law?

MT2014

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 06:35:55 PM »
Hi all-- Sorry to keep an old threat alive.  After getting my final grades back, I have a 3.3 and am in the top 15% of the class. Anyone know have any idea why my legitimate chances are at Fordham Law or Rutgers Law?

To answer your question, from my own personal experience, I got into Rutgers Camden as a transfer student and I wasn't close to where you are percentage wise.  I was closer to the top 1/3 of the class then the top 15% and I got in fairly easily into Rutgers Camden.   Not sure if there is a big difference between the two schools tranfser policies but just food for though.  Also know of students that got into top 20 to 30 schools being in the top 10% so I think you have a shot at Fordham as well being in the top 15% depending on what school you went to and who else from your school is applying. 

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 11:19:29 PM »
thanks for the reply.  i'm actually in the top 13% from a small tier 3 school.  no one else from my school is applying.  Also, I got into Seton Hall Law already, only a few days after the deadline, and was offered a 'transfer scholarship.' didn't know those existed.  fingers crossed for fordham!