Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T3 to T2  (Read 3023 times)

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
T3 to T2
« on: February 18, 2011, 12:16:53 AM »
At a T3 school and ranked in top 25 after first semester.  What do I need to get into a T2 school like Rutgers Newark.  RU-N is my number one choice (alum network, price, location).  What about Seton Hall, Rutgers-Camden, Hofstra or Pace?  Any possible hope of getting into a school like Fordham?  I know I would have to maintain these grades but wondering what chance I have.  Thanks

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: T3 to T2
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:53:58 AM »
Best bet is to call admissions and ask them what their requirements are.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 11:44:55 AM »
Instead of doing that it might be better to negotiate for scholarship money. If they don't give it to you then go to the tier 2, but realistically there does not seem to be to much difference in the job market for tier 3 students opposed to tier 2 students.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
While it may be true that there is little difference in the job market b/w a T2 and T3, it makes a huge difference where the T3 is located.  If the T3 is in some far away state and the OP wants to practice in New Jersey, transferring to Rutgers would be a good idea.  If the T3 is near wherever the OP wants to practice, then negotiating more scholarship money is also a good idea. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:59:05 PM »
Extremely true. When dealing with anything below T14 schools in my opinion the main consideration is location and then cost. If OP is in a Tier 3 in Spokane and wants work in Jersey/New York then going to a Tier 2 or even tier 4 in the New York/Jersey area would probably be the best decision.

Packers-Cubs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
my current school is not close to where I want to practice and the alumni connections are seemingly weak in NJ/NY.  The reason Rutgers is so appealing is because of in-state tuition so even if I have to pay sticker price at 20k and live at home, I would still be ahead of the game-- even with a scholarship at a t3 school and have to pay for housing.  Alum connection can't be beat at RU and the school seems to be a very underrated. I did graduate work there so I guess I'm slighly biased.
  Any ideas what Rutgers might require?  I hear it is VERY competitive for transfer students because of instate tuition.  I'm planning on meeting with the Dean of Admissions to discuss my options.  Good idea?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 12:12:21 PM »
Yes people from the school will have much better info than random people on the internet. It sounds like you have good reasons for transferring and hopefully it works out.

kjw5029

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 11:36:31 PM »
Couldn't agree with bigs more.  You should absolutely contact Rutgers and ask them.  I do know 1 person that attempted to transfer to Rutgers from a t4 and was unsuccessful, but his credentials weren't likely as good as yours (although I don't know what top 25 means...top 25 students or top 25%).  If you're in the top 10% of your class and apply relatively early, I would imagine you have a pretty good chance. 

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 01:39:24 PM »
This may sound a bit counter-intuitive, but it sounds like your current school is not going to serve you well for where you want to practice after law school.  If you don't get into Rutgers (or another higher-ranking school that produces good job prospects for you),  you might consider a lower-ranked school.  You could be better situated for a job in NY/NJ graduating at the top of a lower-ranking school, than at your current location. 

Just food for thought. 

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 03:58:50 PM »
Yea if you want to be in Jersey/New York a tier 3 in another state is not going to be much help. Seton Hall, New York Law School, Albany, Touro, Pace, and any number of t3-t4 schools in that area would be more likely to open doors in the area.