Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any suggestions, or should I abandon all hope??  (Read 1478 times)

hampie76

• View Profile
Any suggestions, or should I abandon all hope??
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:34 PM »
I just took my LSAT last weekend and have a 3.1 GPA from my degree granting institution, but only a 2.49 cumulative from all universities. I returned to school two years ago, and finished very well, although my grades from my young and dumb years aren't so hot. I do however, have lots of professional experience as a journalist, a webmaster, soldier, and even a labor union leader (I've had a very interesting life).

Do I have a chance of admittance to a lower-tier school should I do decent on my LSAT, or should I not bother with applying even to lower-tier schools? Or should I consider part-time. Where's my best chance in getting in?

Thanks in advance,
DD

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions, or should I abandon all hope??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 09:03:13 PM »
That cumulative GPA is a pain and gets people. I wouldn't give up just yet though.

Wait for your LSAT. Heck, who knows perhaps you got a 180! If you that GPA will be just fine.  :)

StuckInMI

• GPA: 3.34 // LSAT: 158
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
I second what lawschoolstudent2011 said, don't give up hope! I had a 3.3 GPA, too, and a 158 LSAT. Based on the outcome of your LSAT, there are many schools you can get into. You'll definitely have a shot at a 3rd tier and 4th tier school, and, and probably even better ones if your LSAT is good! It just might mean that you have to work a little harder to get your foot in the door after law school.

Are you planning on gaining admission for the fall 2011 cycle?

I don't think you should abandon all hope just yet though. Hang in there! :)

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »
What do your junior and senior year grades look like?  Admissions committees look for an upward trend.  It will also be very important that any letters of recommendation you get (yes you will need them for applications) are from professors who are familiar with your work.  If your lsat comes in below 160, take a prep course and get it above 160.  Visit the law school information site. If you can get into the 160's and a couple of professor LOR's you can get into a school.  Not going to be T14. 

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »
to a point,  but it's still more about cumulative GPA.If one guy has an "upward trend" and lower GPA, he will not have as good of a shot as someone with a  "downward trend" and a higher cumulative gpa.

That being said, Aceing a few extra classes always helps overall too.

What do your junior and senior year grades look like?  Admissions committees look for an upward trend.  It will also be very important that any letters of recommendation you get (yes you will need them for applications) are from professors who are familiar with your work.  If your lsat comes in below 160, take a prep course and get it above 160.  Visit the law school information site. If you can get into the 160's and a couple of professor LOR's you can get into a school.  Not going to be T14.

hampie76

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:17 PM »
Deans List last two years. My LOR were both from former profs who are attorneys, one who is a professor at the law school I'm trying to get into (I took a class of his at another local university), and the other is a juvenile court magistrate.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
those are probably the best LOR's anyone in your application pool will have.

That being said, they could be from the father,son and holy ghoust, and it STILL wouldn't matter if the GPA and LSAT didn't add up.
Good job on the letters though, that's pretty badass! :)

Deans List last two years. My LOR were both from former profs who are attorneys, one who is a professor at the law school I'm trying to get into (I took a class of his at another local university), and the other is a juvenile court magistrate.

hampie76

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
Applied to Dayton, Detroit Mercy, Wayne State, and Toledo.

Anyone have any thoughts on the joint US/Canadian JD program at Mercy?

Take care, and thanks everyone!

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 07:44:01 PM »
I didn't even know that there was such a degree. Does it exempt you from having to take the extra credits in Canada that most american JD grads have to take to get licensed there?

Applied to Dayton, Detroit Mercy, Wayne State, and Toledo.

Anyone have any thoughts on the joint US/Canadian JD program at Mercy?

Take care, and thanks everyone!

hampie76

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:28:10 PM »
Upon graduation, you are ready to take the bar in the U.S. and Canada.

A lot more here: http://www.uwindsor.ca/dualjd/