Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Cooley with $$ really that bad?  (Read 693 times)

StuckInMI

• GPA: 3.34 // LSAT: 158
    • View Profile
    • Email
Is Cooley with $$ really that bad?
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »
This is my first post on the forum so hello to all!

I know that there is a general tendency for everyone to disregard Cooley but I would like to know just how bad it is. I've been offered 85% tuition there, and have applications pending at Wayne Sate & Michigan State. Unfortunately, the scope of my legal education is limited to Michigan so that I can be with my boyfriend. I know this may seem naive to some, but we're serious and I really have no desire to leave him for school. My numbers are ok, and yes I realize that sending in my applications now is way late in the game. Does it really matter that much though? Wayne's deadline is 3/15 but I missed the priority deadline for scholarships by one month. As for MSU, app deadline is 4/30, and the deadline for priority scholarship consideration is today (2/15).

Anywho, I'd like to talk with fellow 0L's, and all L's for that matter, about the best way to proceed. I personally believe that your education is what you make of it, and Cooley will give you the tools to succeed just as any other law school will; how you manage yourself is what really matters (my opinion).

It's possible that my opinion is highly uneducated as it pertains to law school, and it may very well be, but I would like to hear all of your thoughts!  :)

GPA: 3.34
LSAT: 158

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Cooley with $$ really that bad?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:24:43 PM »
If you want to go to cooley, raise that LSAT by 2 point and get a fullride.

StuckInMI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
Thanks for the tip! I'm still deciding if I want to go to Cooley, and if I do I will definitely take your advice. I just wanted to get feedback as to how Cooley with that much tuition money can be so bad compared to other MI schools like Wayne and State.

What makes Cooley so bad anyway?

???

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
In reality nothing. People just don't like that they are the new kid on the block and still the largest lawschool in the nation. That plus they have a high attrition rate(but about half that of  whittier and lowert than many others)

Thanks for the tip! I'm still deciding if I want to go to Cooley, and if I do I will definitely take your advice. I just wanted to get feedback as to how Cooley with that much tuition money can be so bad compared to other MI schools like Wayne and State.

What makes Cooley so bad anyway?

???

StuckInMI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »
Good to know, thanks! How often do people go to Cooley only to transfer after their first year? I heard that transferring isn't always a good thing?

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:04:16 PM »
You know, I'm not sure. I have heard about the "attrition" rate at lower T schools being in part due to transfers, and a lot of people lie to themself and say "I'll be #1 in there, I'll be able to transfer" but in reality only the top 10% transfer and regardless of which lawschool you go to you will notice that even after grades come out 90% of the class will claim to be that top 10%. You will be able to see how many A's,B's,etc your teacher gave and even if the sheet only shows 3 A's and 100 B's, 90 people will claim to be those A's.
Why? Because they are fill of *&^%,and probably mildly scitsophrenic.  :P

As far as the cons of transfering, I'm told that it impacts your cumulative GPA since the credits transfer as credit and not as a GPA. So the A's you get to qualify to transfer disappear and if you (got forbid) get one C- that first term after transfering you on AP instead of just a 3.9 like you would have with the old grades. Plus I'm told it's harder to get into lawreview, but I think moot court still let's transfer in. I've noticed the jocks from undergrad end up in mootcourt and the chessclub ends up in lawreview. You want to have a beer with the first and give a wedgie to the latter.
Just my opinion. ;)

If you want to get a free ride, go for it. Just don't do it ONLY to transfer. Nothing wrong with transfering either, just don't let if be your ONLY reason.

Good to know, thanks! How often do people go to Cooley only to transfer after their first year? I heard that transferring isn't always a good thing?