Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: put this in or leave it out?  (Read 691 times)

bold-aslove

• View Profile
put this in or leave it out?
« on: February 15, 2011, 03:55:14 PM »
ok, so I used to work for one of the worlds largest banks as a banker.

part of working there meant attending endless workshops/training.  I'm going to mention how much those training workshops helped me develop my "real world skills" and what not in a grammatically eloquent way, but i'm not sure whether I should include the following story...

while attending a workshop, one of my trainees was also a banker--a banker at this bank holds a mid-level position with a decent wage--and while giving us a speech about how great it is working at the bank and how much he loved it, he mentioned that he was a banker there for 25 years.
this workshop was intended to create longevity at the company, however, it  was a huge wake up call for me.  It instantly made me realize that I don't want to end up doing this the rest of my life.  I want a challenging and fulfilling career, and being a banker was not doing it for me.

now my question is, should I include this story in my personal statement--and of course tell it in a "nicer" way--or does it make me sound unstable/uncommitted?

thanks for the feedback  :)

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: put this in or leave it out?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 05:09:12 PM »
I'd mention the fact that you worked at the bank, but not the rest of it.

Accounting is a required lawclass and it might help in that.

The story is yeah a bit flipfloppy.

NonTradInSATX

• Alea Iacta Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 05:53:04 PM »
Simply put, dont focus on the negatives in the past.  Potentially acknowledge the "why I'm switching careers", but avoid being overly negative or mentioning how you didnt want to do it for 25 more years (many lawyers wake up and realize that too late as well).
Military Officer separating, 1L fall 2011

San Antonio, TX

bold-aslove

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:29 PM »
perhaps your right about the flip floppiness/mentioning the bad, but i do feel compelled to explain why ii left the financial industry...or is that really not necessary?

NonTradInSATX

• Alea Iacta Est
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 08:44:08 PM »
Absolutely, address why you're changing careers, but focus on positive things and more on why law than why  not banking.  Make it about self-discovery or how no matter the great times you had there, you wanted something more challenging.
Military Officer separating, 1L fall 2011

San Antonio, TX

bold-aslove

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
great, thanks for the feedback