Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.4 GPA but great improvement in last 1.5 years--does that help??  (Read 1878 times)

nannygoatgruff

• View Profile
    • Email
I had one bad semester in freshman year in school but then things got much better.  I am a classical studies major--all A's last semester (first semester junior year).  I will likely be admitted to honors classics and will be writing a thesis.  My GPA isn't great, but do you think that the schools will look at improvement??  Thanks to all.

John1990

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3.4 GPA but great improvement in last 1.5 years--does that help??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 09:04:22 PM »
Hey i am in the same exact situation as you.  I have heard that GPA trends do come into affect, but only after GPA/LSAT scores are considered.  They are to distinguish students of similar scores.  So, if i am not mistaken, you will be chosen above a student with the same lsat score and a 3.4 gpa that has been steady throughout college.  But, i dont think your trend will help you compete much with someone who has lets say a 3.5GPA.  However, i am not 100% on this, if some one more experienced can chime in that would be awesome.
I am also a junior with a 3.19UGPA and an accounting major.  I had a 2.0 gpa freshman year and since then have had a 3.9 gpa every semester and i took a winter and summer semester hah.  Hopefully i will get another 3.9 this semester and have a 3.30 for my app.  My advice is to focus on the lsat of course.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
Re: 3.4 GPA but great improvement in last 1.5 years--does that help??
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:57:29 PM »
The LSAT will be very important for both of you.  3.3 is in the GPA range of many good law schools.  Nail the LSAT and you shouldn't have to worry much.

Trends, majors, UG Institution, etc..., do get considered.  They are what's known as "soft" factors; hard factors being UGPA/LSAT.
If you are between the percentiles for the schools you apply to, the admissions committee will certainly factor in the improvement when they review your application.  They are trying to predict who will do well in their school.  Showing the kind of academic discipline that was required to increase your GPA so significantly will look good for you.  Focus on adding to your other soft factors too.

Good luck!