Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Options for people who suck at the LSAT and have a low GPA  (Read 6733 times)

like_lasagna

• View Profile
Re: Options for people who suck at the LSAT and have a low GPA
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2011, 11:47:47 PM »
It's just extremely arrogant to go around saying, "A score that low is a flame" and "It speaks to the people I choose to associate with."

I teach an LSAT class: LOTS of people score in the 140s, and a few do score in the 130s. The percentiles aren't just made up.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2011, 08:20:19 PM »
So you violate the rules of professional conduct. (big win for the big man)

Yet another clueless post from you.  This is commonplace in MANY federal clerkships - especially in those with judges of 60+ years of age.  Of course, the final determination is always up to the judge, however, many judges trust their clerks' judgment and give them substantial leeway in deciding and drafting opinions.  Although this might be grounds for impeachment of the judge, it is NOT a violation of the rules of professional conduct.  In fact, I challenge you to find a provision in the rules of professional conduct that might arguably apply.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
So you violate the rules of professional conduct. (big win for the big man)

Yet another clueless post from you.  This is commonplace in MANY federal clerkships - especially in those with judges of 60+ years of age.  Of course, the final determination is always up to the judge, however, many judges trust their clerks' judgment and give them substantial leeway in deciding and drafting opinions.  Although this might be grounds for impeachment of the judge, it is NOT a violation of the rules of professional conduct.  In fact, I challenge you to find a provision in the rules of professional conduct that might arguably a

Simple, you IMPLIED undue influence over a judge. You NOW backtrack to say otherwise. The implication is the violation.
In MPRE class we had to read cases or disciplined attorneys(normally smart ass selfrightous peons like clerks) we would try to talk their way out of the BS, but they still got the hammer. Your scienter is no good here.

If you were worth anything at all you wouldn't post on a students forum to begin with. Your like the creepy senior who only hangs around with freshman trying to tell them how awsome he is.  :P

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2011, 09:56:26 PM »
Simple, you IMPLIED undue influence over a judge.

Stop beating around the bush and cite the damn rule or STFU.  I'm sick and tired of you making up rules and dodging clear cut questions.  Implying undue influence over a judge is a violation of exactly which section of the rules of professional conduct?  How does the law define undue influence?  Give me a case that states that a judicial law clerk violated the rules of professional conduct when he stated that he came up with the legal reasoning and wrote the entire opinion in a particular case.

If you were worth anything at all you wouldn't post on a students forum to begin with. Your like the creepy senior who only hangs around with freshman trying to tell them how awsome he is.  :P

(1) You post here, don't you?  Are you implying that you're not "worth anything at all?" (2) This is not a "student's forum" (3) Sorry you don't like the advice that I've given others on this forum.  You can take it or leave it, I could really give a flying fck.  But, there's no need to hate me because of your shortcomings.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:02 PM »
You bolded the word decide dumbass, that's beyond implying it's downright bragging.
As for my posting here.........student......... .if a freshman hangs out with freshman it's not creapy. If the senior does while flexing his (mostly imaginary) muscles....well then he's you.  :P

Then you shouldn't  have called him that then. For someone who quotes wikipedia and has time to respond to all this (using your govt computer no less) You sure shouldn't be throwing stones. Grow up and buy a pair of pants and get a real mans job eh clerkie? I get it, bottombitch is fun and you want to brag, but it's still bottombitch. Get over it.

Bottombitch?  Lol.. I basically decide cases and write the opinions.  But, hey, if that's what you want to believe so that you can sleep at night, that's fine with me.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 10:43:29 PM »
not a students forum?.......LAWSCHOOLDISCUSSION... ..... :-X

Simple, you IMPLIED undue influence over a judge.

Stop beating around the bush and cite the damn rule or STFU.  I'm sick and tired of you making up rules and dodging clear cut questions.  Implying undue influence over a judge is a violation of exactly which section of the rules of professional conduct?  How does the law define undue influence?  Give me a case that states that a judicial law clerk violated the rules of professional conduct when he stated that he came up with the legal reasoning and wrote the entire opinion in a particular case.

(1) You post here, don't you?  Are you implying that you're not "worth anything at all?" (2) This is not a "student's forum" (3) Sorry you don't like the advice that I've given others on this forum.  You can take it or leave it, I could really give a flying fck.  But, there's no need to hate me because of your shortcomings.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 10:54:37 PM »

Wow, you really are dense, aren't you?  This forum is for DISCUSSION ABOUT ALL THINGS RELATING TO LAW SCHOOL. Under your logic, people discussing the LSAT should not post on the forum because they are not law school students.  Top-notch reasoning there.

Once again: Cite a rule, a case, or anything that states that my conduct violated the rules of professional conduct.  You're straying off topic.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 11:19:23 PM »
Fine, but you are either a troll or the worst "lawyer" ever. A govt IP can come from pretty much anywhere, and even if it did come from a court house could mean it had wifi and you were the janitor who failed out of undergrad prelaw. Here is the damn rule(idiot) Rule 8.4(e)

Misconduct
A lawyer or law firm shall not:
(a) violate or attempt to violate the Rules of Professional
Conduct, knowingly assist or induce another
to do so, or do so through the acts of another;
(b) engage in illegal conduct that adversely reflects on
the lawyer’s honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a
lawyer;
(c) engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit
or misrepresentation;
(d) engage in conduct that is prejudicial to the administration
of justice;
(e) state or imply an ability:
(1) to influence improperly or upon irrelevant
grounds any tribunal, legislative body or public
official; or
(2) to achieve results using means that violate these
Rules or other law;

Wow, you really are dense, aren't you?  This forum is for DISCUSSION ABOUT ALL THINGS RELATING TO LAW SCHOOL. Under your logic, people discussing the LSAT should not post on the forum because they are not law school students.  Top-notch reasoning there.

Once again: Cite a rule, a case, or anything that states that my conduct violated the rules of professional conduct.  You're straying off topic.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2011, 07:42:42 AM »
Fine, but you are either a troll or the worst "lawyer" ever. A govt IP can come from pretty much anywhere, and even if it did come from a court house could mean it had wifi and you were the janitor who failed out of undergrad prelaw. Here is the damn rule(idiot) Rule 8.4(e)

Misconduct
A lawyer or law firm shall not:
(a) violate or attempt to violate the Rules of Professional
Conduct, knowingly assist or induce another
to do so, or do so through the acts of another;
(b) engage in illegal conduct that adversely reflects on
the lawyer’s honesty, trustworthiness or fitness as a
lawyer;
(c) engage in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit
or misrepresentation;
(d) engage in conduct that is prejudicial to the administration
of justice;
(e) state or imply an ability:
(1) to influence improperly or upon irrelevant
grounds any tribunal, legislative body or public
official; or
(2) to achieve results using means that violate these
Rules or other law;

Let's go to the comments and see how this rule applies:
Attorneys should also be aware of the constraints imposed upon them by the Code of Professional Responsibility in making campaign contributions to candidates for Attorney General, District Attorney or similar offices. In particular, DR 9-101(C) bars a lawyer from "stating or implying that the lawyer is able to influence improperly or upon irrelevant grounds any tribunal, legislative body, or public official." Thus, an attorney who makes a donation to a candidate for an office such as Attorney General may not represent, either explicitly or by implication of any kind, that the attorney can or expects or even hopes to obtain favorable treatment as a result of the donation. Certainly, it follows that attorneys should not make contributions for the purpose of influencing any public official on behalf of their clients, regardless of whether the attorneys assert or imply the power to assert such influences. Attorneys who do not contribute in order to influence candidates improperly should not be concerned that the candidates will be unaware of their contributions. Indeed, every legitimate reason for contributing to a political campaign -- for example, to assist the candidate believed best qualified for the job in attaining office -- is served by the mere making of the contribution without attribution.

Let's also look at an ethics opinion regarding the meaning of "tribunal" in this particular Rule:   http://www.philadelphiabar.org/page/EthicsOpinion87-28?appNum=1
"However, because clients hire attorneys to go into court and deal with government agencies and officials, including but not limited to, court officials and judges, the slogan further implies impermissible and unsubstantiated influence with the court system and those who work in it. As such, it violates DR9-l0l8 and Model Rule 8.4(e)."

So, what have we learned?
(1) The Rule specifically applies to LAWYERS AND LAW FIRMS trying to exert influence over a judge or his staff (the "tribunal") from the outside.  As a law clerk, I am part of the "tribunal." Once again, if your logic prevailed, it would lead to absurd results: No law clerk could sit in a judge's office, talk to him about a case, and then attempt to persuade him that the ruling should be otherwise; (2) The Rule speaks to improper influence.  Nothing about what I do is "improper" - especially when my judge consents to it; (3) There's also this thing called the "First Amendment."  As long as what I say or write is not false, misleading, deceptive, defamatory, confidential (I'm disclosing publicly-known facts about the general decision-making process of courts as a whole), or not of public concern (which it clearly is - Senators and academics alike have commented on the profound influence clerks have on the decision-making process); my posts in this thread cannot constitute a violation of the rules of professional conduct.

You want to know why there are no cases out there to support your position?  Because if such a case was brought, any judge would laugh you out of court on every reason I cited above.  Some times you have to use a bit of common sense.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2011, 10:32:08 AM »
This thread has jumped the shark. I'm locking it.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?