Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Options for people who suck at the LSAT and have a low GPA  (Read 6421 times)

LSATFailure2011

• View Profile
Options for people who suck at the LSAT and have a low GPA
« on: February 13, 2011, 08:27:39 PM »
I recently graduated college in 2010, and have decided that I want to go to Law School.

My major in college was in Agribusiness/marketing (whatever you want to call it). For the past 10 months I have been working a job related to my major, and despite the fact that I am making a decent salary for a first year grad in a tough economy, I am unhappy and want a change.

Initially when I decided to take the LSAT (back in September), I looked at it as lottery ticket. If I did well on the test, "great", if not "oh well.. at least I still have a job". Subsequently, I registered for the February 2011 LSAT.

As time went by, and I become increasingly less content at my job I started to look at the LSAT as more than just a lottery ticket. I purchased both the Logic Games Bible, and the Logical Reasoning Bible. I also purchased two books of practice tests. Unfortunately, despite my investment I never really mastered the LSAT. Although I never took a full test timed, I did practice timed sections. Results:

Logical Reasoning: 15-19 correct was average
Reading Comprehension-13-17 was average
Logic Games- 8-12 was average

As you can see the Logic Games Bible didn't really help me. I'm not exactly sure how Logic Games is a precursor to Law School performance, but nonetheless I am terrible at them.

Yesterday, I took the Feburary 2011 LSAT, and it went as bad as could be imagined.

Section 1-Logical Reasoning: Adrenaline killed me in this section. For me, it is imperative to get minimum 8 out of the first 10 correct in a reasonable amount of time. My nerves really worked against me, I guessed on nearly 7 questions.

Section 2- Reading Comprehension- This was what I considered to be the make or break section for me. The first passage was OK, but the next three did not go well. It must be considered that I never am only able fully read 3/4 reading comprehension passages in the 35 minutes. Thus it is critical that I am able to distinguish which passage is the "difficult" passage. In this case, it was passage 3. If I can go back in time I would have chosen passage four to read fully. Almost 7-10 guesses on this section. A complete bomb...

Section 3- Logical Reasoning- This was the experimental section, and I felt like I aced it  ::). Basically what LSAC did in this test was switch up location of difficult questions. The easy questions were 10-19, the medium/hard were 1-9, and the last five were challenging.

Break: At this point I was praying to god that I would see another Reading Comprehension passage

Section 4- Logical Reasoning- When I saw this, I was mortified. I knew my suspicion about Section 3 was correct >:(. I definitely let it effect me for the first few questions of this section. Nonetheless this is the section I actually felt best about, other than the experimental section

Section 5- Logic Games- Wasn't the worst Logic Games section I have ever seen. The first two I worked through a little bit, although I highly doubt I got all of the questions correct. The last two games were pretty much guesses. About 10 guesses on the Games section. Overall I didn't practice Games sections timed enough, and it hurt me.

Overall about 40/101 questions were guesses 8)

Raw Score estimate: 35-40....This will look great next to my stellar 2.7 GPA :D

So... Finally... Here is my question...

Is there a Tier 4 ABA accredited Law School that could accept me

If so, after reading my analysis, would I better off going to one of those schools, and trying to transfer to a better school after year 1; or re-take the LSAT?

Also note, that I have made enough money to hire a tutor to teach me logic games, and I will promise to take at lest 20 full length practice tests from now until June.

However, the LSAT seems so risky..... I have had friends that consistently scored 160 on practice exams, and then came away with 148 on game day.

At the end of the day, I simply may not be cut out to do well on the LSAT. Just want to know if there are other options towards achieving my goal prior to spending the time and money on this test.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Options for people who suck at the LSAT and have a low GPA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 08:43:55 PM »

Is there a Tier 4 ABA accredited Law School that could accept me

Yes, but you're better off not going there.

If so, after reading my analysis, would I better off going to one of those schools, and trying to transfer to a better school after year 1; or re-take the LSAT?

Retake the LSAT.

Just want to know if there are other options towards achieving my goal prior to spending the time and money on this test.

You think spending time and money on the LSAT is bad?  Imagine incurring +$150,000 in non-dischargeable debt to go to a school where you're not likely to get a legal job upon graduation.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 10:48:36 PM »
I was not clear what your LSAT score ended up being, I am not sure what 40 out of 101 would get you. I am guessing in the 130's and that probably will not cut it at an ABA. You can checkout lawschoolnumbers.com to see what schools your GPA and LSAT will get you into it is a great site for 0L's. If a tier 4 does accept you and you want to be a lawyer then you should go. From your post it sounds like you are unsure of what to do and think law school might be cool. That is not a great reason and you should try working in a law firm first before spending 100K + and 3 years of your life on something you may not end up wanting to do.

Tier 4's can and do workout for a lot of people, but you need to go for the right reasons.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 10:53:06 PM »
Retake the LSAT. Take a class or something.

LSATFailure2011

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 11:40:34 PM »
I was not clear what your LSAT score ended up being, I am not sure what 40 out of 101 would get you. I am guessing in the 130's and that probably will not cut it at an ABA. You can checkout lawschoolnumbers.com to see what schools your GPA and LSAT will get you into it is a great site for 0L's. If a tier 4 does accept you and you want to be a lawyer then you should go. From your post it sounds like you are unsure of what to do and think law school might be cool. That is not a great reason and you should try working in a law firm first before spending 100K + and 3 years of your life on something you may not end up wanting to do.

Tier 4's can and do workout for a lot of people, but you need to go for the right reasons.

I just took the LSAT yesterday.

I am estimating a score in the 130's. It was a complete disaster.

I actually have a medical disorder called IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and it started acting up halfway through the test  :D

politicolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 11:56:39 PM »

I actually have a medical disorder called IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and it started acting up halfway through the test  :D
[/quote]

Seriously??? + 130s LSAT... good luck buddy lol

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »
I bet you are being overly harsh on yourself, VERY few do that bad.

As long as you get at least a 145 you can get into a T4 /T3 school.

If you get any lower than that, the state bar apporved/online  lawschools are your only options.

Seriously??? + 130s LSAT... good luck buddy lol
[/quote]

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 05:11:48 PM »
You need at least a 150 and generally 153 to get into most tier 3-4 schools. I think only Cooley and Appalachian regularly accept LSAT scores under 150.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »
I bet whittier takes anyone that can suck air. Heck with a 51% attrition rate, they must let in the homeless just to get out of cold...... ::)

You need at least a 150 and generally 153 to get into most tier 3-4 schools. I think only Cooley and Appalachian regularly accept LSAT scores under 150.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »

This guy is flame.  I'm outta here.