Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What are some similar schools to John Marshall in Chicago?  (Read 2073 times)

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What is it like to go to John Marshall in Chicago?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 07:44:40 AM »
The scholarship does not require a specific GPA, only that I am in the top 33% of my class.
Umm . . . clueless post of the month, strong contender for clueless post of the year.

All 1L classes are curved.  You can calculate exactly what GPA is required in order to be in that "top 33%".

Not only that, but some law schools put all of their "scholarship students" into a single section to compete against one another.  It's sort of like starving rats being thrown into a pen to eat each other.  I don't know if JM is one of those or not, but if so, "Look to your left, look to your right, only one of you will be here next year."

That said, JM-Chicago has some rather unusual stats in general, and seems to be well regarded in patent law.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What are some similar schools to John Marshall in Chicago?
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 03:11:13 PM »
My school did that putting the scholarship students all in one curved section. It was pretty messed up, but thankfully I finished high enough to keep the scholarship. Still anytime there are restrictions on a scholarship it is something to really be wary about. There is a 67% chance you won't be in the top 33%. At least they don't hide it under a 3.0 GPA, which is even worse. It is possible for a school to have a curve that makes it almost impossible to get a 3.0. Conditioned scholarships are a big trap and any 0L should really consider the implications of it before attending a school for a condition based scholarship. You might be able to negotiate with the school to ensure you keep it the whole term etc. They want you there for your numbers so they can boost the b.s. U.S. News ranking of their school. Before you lock yourself in and attend you have a bit of bargaining power and it is worth using to your advantage.

jinc1019

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is it like to go to John Marshall in Chicago?
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
The scholarship does not require a specific GPA, only that I am in the top 33% of my class.
Umm . . . clueless post of the month, strong contender for clueless post of the year.

All 1L classes are curved.  You can calculate exactly what GPA is required in order to be in that "top 33%".

Not only that, but some law schools put all of their "scholarship students" into a single section to compete against one another.  It's sort of like starving rats being thrown into a pen to eat each other.  I don't know if JM is one of those or not, but if so, "Look to your left, look to your right, only one of you will be here next year."

That said, JM-Chicago has some rather unusual stats in general, and seems to be well regarded in patent law.
Well, obviously I am clueless about it or I wouldn't have asked! How would I be able to calculate the GPA needed for the top 33%? Would student handbook have that or something? If I asked the school, would they even tell me? I am glad you informed me but I am still pretty clueless about how I would calculate it.

jinc1019

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 12:27:59 PM »
My school did that putting the scholarship students all in one curved section. It was pretty messed up, but thankfully I finished high enough to keep the scholarship. Still anytime there are restrictions on a scholarship it is something to really be wary about. There is a 67% chance you won't be in the top 33%. At least they don't hide it under a 3.0 GPA, which is even worse. It is possible for a school to have a curve that makes it almost impossible to get a 3.0. Conditioned scholarships are a big trap and any 0L should really consider the implications of it before attending a school for a condition based scholarship. You might be able to negotiate with the school to ensure you keep it the whole term etc. They want you there for your numbers so they can boost the b.s. U.S. News ranking of their school. Before you lock yourself in and attend you have a bit of bargaining power and it is worth using to your advantage.
Good advice, I will talk to them and HOPEFULLY they will guarantee the scholarship amount. I agree that these conditioned scholarships can be a big trap.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
You should be able to go to the student handbooks at JMLS and do a control find for grades or curve and it should appear. Even when you see it is not explicit in regards to the grades, but 33% is a pretty clear numbers you need to do better than 67% of other students. This is difficult so I would recommend asking for a different scholarship etc. Maybe even applying to some other schools right now that would offer you scholarships and you use that to your advantage. Maybe Northern Illinois or Ohio Northern just to get a bigger scholarship offer from them. Hell maybe you will end up taking it, but there is nothing wrong with tryin gto save a bit of money. I myself was scared of the whole admissions process as a OL, thinking man I don't want to be to annoying etc. You are going to end up paying the school 100k plus if no scholarship is present and they think you are capable of passing the bar and have something to offer and that is why they let you in.

After I did well my first year I had this realiziation and so did my friend and we both got more scholarship money, because we implied we were going to transfer to another school. All schools care about getting their money and if you have good numbers you will make them look good. The student gets screwed you are paying 100K + and they are going to use you passing the bar, LSAT, GPA to attract other students. It is a vicious cycle, but that is higher education in every field.

The school wants you to succeed, but not without paying them and you should try to save as much money as possible, because as soon as you graduate they will start asking for more money from you donations etc. If you can't find a job or don't pass the bar they won't give you your money back.

I am not trying to say law schools or any universities are evil. They will provide you with an education, which is valuable. However, it is a business and you should try your best not to get ripped off, because schools will try to find ways to get some extra money from you, but playing within the rules. You should do the same.

jinc1019

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:04:15 PM »
Excellent points...I will be sure to look for more. I agree completely in regards to feeling guilty about the whole thing. I mean, you don't want to ammpy them but the truth is, you probably should just because they are in it to make money off the student's efforts so the student is entitled to get the most out of the experience that he or she can. I am going to try to negotiate a little more with them. Worst case scenario is that they don't give me what I ask for. I can live with that!

jinc1019

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 07:06:02 PM »
And thanks for the help with finding the grading policies. I did find them in the student handbook and I am looking them over. Ultimately, like you said, 33% is 33% anyway you figure it and it would be tough to keep the scholarship.