Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Live at home or on/near campus?  (Read 589 times)

JAGX

• View Profile
    • Email
Live at home or on/near campus?
« on: February 05, 2011, 03:55:49 PM »
I'm going to be starring law school in the Fall, and I'm considering going to my local law school (UB).

I live about ~45 min away, and I commute for undergrad.  But, for law school, I suspect that I will have to spend long hours after class studying in the library after hours and on the weekends.  I would also like to participate in mock trial and/or a law review journal.  This being said, it will be add a significant cost to get an apartment.  I think it would be easier in general to be able to have a home base to bounce back and forth to between classes, but of course my father disagrees and thinks I should just sit in the library between/after class, then come home after I'm done.

What should I consider and what do you think I should do?

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Live at home or on/near campus?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:29:57 PM »
Either option is viable, in many ways it depends on how you wish to experience school.

I am an older non-traditional student. I have a family and a career, if I do indeed decide to go ahead with law school I will likely be facing a commute of 45 minutes on the way home (which will be late enough that most of the traffic issues will have dropped to a dull roar). Giving up the time in a commute is a calculated decision as I do not want to interrupt my wife and daughters life any more then it will be already by a decision to go after yet another degree.

If you opt to live further away from campus, you will need to plan your access to resources with a more thoroughness then you would if you lived right on top of campus. In some ways this level of additional planning could come in handy to help prevent unfocused time, which is likely not to be of much value. On the down side, you will be removed from some of the informal networking that will take place around campus in the off hours.