Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where should i go?  (Read 583 times)

northwood

• View Profile
    • Email
where should i go?
« on: February 05, 2011, 02:18:02 PM »
ive been accepted into UB, Syracuse and Pittsburgh. Ub is instate tutition, at syracuse i have a 27k/year shcolly as long as i keep a 2.8. Pitt is out of state sticker. I am a ny resident, and have ties to western ny. However, I have always enjoyed visiting pittsburgh, and wouldnt mind living there. Which school would you choose, and why? I am debt afraid( which is why syracuse is so tempting), but know that syracuse at sticker, would not be worth it. thanks for your help and guidance!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: where should i go?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »
All those schools fine, but the most important thing for your purposes is location. If you want to live in Pittsburgh I would think University of Pittsburgh would be the best solution. Pittsburgh is the top dog in Pittsburgh and so it seems like a pretty good choice. You always want to consider other schools in the area and see how your school matches up. If you wanted to live in Idaho for example go to University of Idaho. Same logic applies for Pittsburgh.

The scholarship is a consideration, but I believe Syracuse has one of the highest tuition rates  of any school. $43,722 - 27,000= 15,722 assuming you keep a 2.8. Doing that in law school is nowhere near as easy as it was in undergrad. Check out the curve. At my school for example I had to keep a 3.0 to keep my scholarship, but only 35% of the class can have a 3.0. I luckily kept, but there was no guarantee and I imagine Syracuse woudl have a similar setup. If you lose your scholarship then it will 15,722 +43,7,22 + 43,722= 103,166 if you keep the scholarship all three years 46K. It is a gamble, but definitely something to consider many law students go in thinking it will be easy to maintain a 3.0 or 2.8 etc, because it was so easy in undergrad. It is not the same setup though and be vary of it.

Pittsburgh has these tuition rates. Nonresident 32,306 Resident 24,162. I believe you can get residency for your second and third year check that out. So you will be in debt 80k roughly. Assuming you get in state residency it will not vary. I imagine the cost of living is roughly the same at Syracuse or Pittsburgh so that is a wash. 

Lawschooltransparency.com is also a good website to look at to get actual employment info instead of the B.S. that U.S. News or the ABA feeds that counts being a biglaw partner or fry cook at McDonald's the same for employment purposes.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=pitt There is Pittsburgh employment numbers it seems around 50% of grads reported salaries. The top 20% were making 100K + at graduation, which is pretty good.

http://www.lawschooltransparency.com/clearinghouse/?school=syracuse Syracuse had roughly equivalent numbers.

It really comes down to location and whether you want to gamble on Debt. Syracuse may work out better if you do well your first year, because the debt will be much lower if you do really well. There is no way of guaranteeing, because trust me at any law school 100% of students think they will end up in the top 10%, but you do not need to be a math major to figure out that 90% of students will end up being disappointed. If Pittsburgh allows you to obtain residency for tuition purposes it will be 80k in debt for tuition whether you finish in the top 50% or not.

Well just my two cents there is no right answer, but maybe those websites and realizations regarding scholarship money and the curve can help you make a more informed decision. Good luck to you.

northwood

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:58:32 PM »
thanks for the insight.SO i should not consider UB? I know its going to come down to where I ultimaltely want to work, and its going to take some time to make a decision. However, if we were to negate location ( meaning lets just assume i would love to work in both cities- which I do. I am perfectly happy living in either location for the next 15 years), which would be a better choice?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:18:05 PM »
I am a random person on the internet so I take everything I say with a major grain of salt. I do not know what UB stands for. Is it University of Baltimore?  In all honesty go to the LSAC website look at how much tuition is and contact any schools where residency makes tuition cheaper and see what steps you need to take. There is no right answer and you just have to choose one and not look back. If there was a guaranteed path to success everyone would take it. Unfortunately, nothing is guaranteed and all you can do is collect as much information as possible make an informed decision and move forward. You have a tough decision to make and unfortunately you can only choose one law school. Visit the campuses, talk to students directly, calculate the costs, e-mail firms in the area, and collect as much info as possible. You can also negotiate scholarships with the schools and see if you can get a bigger discount. You are in the driver's seat now that you have been accepted and you might be able to get a scholarship from Pittsburgh or UB, but you will need to ask for it.

So bottom line is the only one that can make the decision is you. Do not listen to anyone on the internet that talks in absolutes. Actually do not listen to anyone that talks in absolutes everyone will have their own biases, prejudices, etc and once you gather enough info you should have a gut feeling and go for it. Only time will tell if it was th right choice, but if you do your research and make an informed decision odds are it will work out. In reality if you go to any ABA school and put in the work things will generally work out.