Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Character and Fitness  (Read 857 times)

cracka

• View Profile
Character and Fitness
« on: February 02, 2011, 07:13:24 PM »
Help,

I thought I had a speeding ticket or two, but cannot find any record (these were ~20 years ago).  I've checked with state DMV and stopped by the County Courthouse where the tickets occured. Any other suggestions as to where else to look for documentation?

mynjb26

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Character and Fitness
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 03:22:16 PM »
Order and abstract of your DMV record. It will show the tickets and the penalty involved. It takes about a week for them to deliver it...Good luck!

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
Order and abstract of your DMV record. It will show the tickets and the penalty involved. It takes about a week for them to deliver it...Good luck!

Some states DMV records will not go back this far.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »
Help,

I thought I had a speeding ticket or two, but cannot find any record (these were ~20 years ago).  I've checked with state DMV and stopped by the County Courthouse where the tickets occured. Any other suggestions as to where else to look for documentation?

Just estimate the dates as best as you can.  As long as you disclose that you got them, the bar examiners could care less.

If you really wish to see if they're on the record, my state checks the state and local Police Department records (There's a form that you must sign giving the departments consent to check and disclose your records to C&F examiners).  You  might want to check with them.

cracka

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »
Thanks john4040.

This is the strategy that I used. I contacted the city clerk for each municipality where I could remember being pulled over and explained the need for the information.  The clerks where very helpful and I was able to identify tickets that were not on the BMV record.  In addition, the district court records were not complete so if anyone has the same problem contact the municipal court first.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 08:52:39 AM »
Thanks john4040.

This is the strategy that I used. I contacted the city clerk for each municipality where I could remember being pulled over and explained the need for the information.  The clerks where very helpful and I was able to identify tickets that were not on the BMV record.  In addition, the district court records were not complete so if anyone has the same problem contact the municipal court first.

Good stuff.  Don't sweat C&F.