Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UW (OOS) vs Lewis and Clark $$ vs Gonzaga $$$  (Read 1110 times)

Chouchou

UW (OOS) vs Lewis and Clark $$ vs Gonzaga $$$
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:25:58 PM »
I'm looking to practice in the Pacific Northwest, preferably Seattle or Portland. I know that Seattle and Portland are notoriously difficult legal markets even in good economic times. Thus, I'd take any area as long as it's in the PNW.
I'm torn between taking on a lot of debt to attend UW versus going to law school practically for free at Gonzaga. I really like Lewis and Clark, but the scholarship is <25% and tuition is expected to increase significantly.
Any advise/ insight is much appreciated. Thank you!

PI_law

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UW (OOS) vs Lewis and Clark $$ vs Gonzaga $$$
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 04:21:55 AM »
GOnzaga does not place well in Seattle.  My father is the managing partner at a large firm in Spokane.  Although he has close ties to the school, he strongly suggested SU or UW,  since I plan to practice in Seattle.  If I recall correctly, 1st year ass start at 35K, and this is the cream of the crop.  Also, if you're not white, Spokane is not the place to for you - they are stuck in the 1950s.  PM me if you want further details - I check this website about twice a year.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 07:27:03 PM »
What's the cost of UW? What are the conditions on the Gonzaga scholarship?
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Markro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 01:15:50 AM »
As a former Gonzaga Law School grad and a Seattle attorney, I can confirm that Gonzaga does not place well in Seattle, and I would guess that the placement in Portland is worse. It is simply a regional law school whose reputation is increasing but it cannot compete with U of W or SU in Seattle. U of W has the best reputation in Seattle and the Northwest. Its tuition is low but it has a small student body and its admission standards are much higher than Gonzaga or SU.

SU is a law factory, has a lot of students and is expensive, but it has a good network in the Seattle area. The legal market in Seattle and Portland is brutal but the top of the class at SU can find jobs in Seattle, although not easily. A few years ago my firm was interviewing for an associate position and I was shocked by the number of resumes we received in late October from newly graduated high ranking SU grads who had not yet found legal positions.

I have family in Spokane and I love the area. I have two brothers-in-law who practice in Spokane, and they are very happy there, but the starting salaries for associates are extremely low and it is difficult to find work because of a limited economic base and the numerous lawyers that Gonzaga annually graduates. I have been told by Spokane attorneys that it is not easy to sustain a profitable business practice in Spokane. On the other hand, I have also heard that the top of the class will find work and the cost of living in Spokane is low.