Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: mid-50s to T14?  (Read 1845 times)

DJM707

• View Profile
    • Email
mid-50s to T14?
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:52:56 PM »
After my first semester at a mid-50s law school I am in the top 7% (13/196), and am strongly considering an upward transfer. From what I've read so far, it seems I have a real good shot at Fordham, but I'm not sure if that's a big enough jump to make it worth it.

But of course I would much prefer a T14 school, particularly Columbia or NYU. Any insight as to my chances or advice would be very helpful.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: mid-50s to T14?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 01:28:43 PM »
I think the determining factor is that you're talking about a transfer to Fordham, not just any school in the mid-50s to T14.  From what I understand, Fordham outperforms its rank in terms of USNWR placement.  Another good example of a school that vastly outperforms its rank is Howard.

I'm not sure about your transfer chances to NYU or Columbia, however, from my limited knowledge, I don't think you'll be a viable transfer candidate.  Even if you don't get NYU or Columbia, no worries.  As I previously said, Fordham has excellent job placement.

No, I did not go to Fordham.  I have absolutely no dog in this fight.

DJM707

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:24:01 PM »
Thanks, John. I've done more research on Fordham and have been impressed.

If anyone has any more insight on my chances of getting into a T14 school, that would be great. Im working hard this semester and focusing on cracking the top 5%.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 03:24:22 PM »
Deciding to transfer, unless you get into T6, depends on where you want to live and practice law after you graduate.  Check the firm websites from the region that you want to work in, and you will start to see some patterns.  Put more weight on the firms whose attorneys all seem to be in Law Review or Order of the Coif (code word for graduated top 10%).   You should get an idea from this exercise as to which law schools are well respected in your community--which is what matters the most.  If you want to practice in CA, UVA is not going to give you any advantages over UC Hastings grads. 

You also need to make sure that as a transfer student, you will be eligible for Law Review.  Top 5% and Law Review from a mid 50's school may be just as a non-law-review graduate from a higher ranked school. 

DJM707

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
Well I definitely want to live and practice in the northeast (NY, DC, Boston), so I'm only applying to schools up there. The main reason I want to transfer from my current school is not only its ranking but also that its particularly "regionalized" in a region I dont wanna be in.

Good point on law review though. I have checked and almost all the schools I'm applying to allow transfers to write on to law review. It would be difficult, but I would have to write on at my current school anyway, since it doesnt allow grading on.

MikePing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Information
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »
It sounds like you should probably transfer regardless of the law review issue.  If you don't get into the schools you want, you might even consider a transfer to a lower-ranked school that is well respected in the city that you most want to practice in. 

Good luck, let us know what you decide.