Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Tulsa vs. St. Thomas - MN  (Read 1494 times)

rm09

• View Profile
    • Email
Tulsa vs. St. Thomas - MN
« on: January 30, 2011, 05:42:05 PM »
I applied to pretty much every school that gave me a fee waiver, one of which being St. Thomas - MN.  They have offered me a full ride scholarship renewable so long as I maintain a 2.0 GPA.

I was also admitted to Tulsa and they gave me a slightly more than 50% scholarship renewable as long as I maintain a 3.0 GPA.

I would prefer to go to Tulsa.  I live in Tulsa. I'm married and have a kid, so moving would uproot my family.  I also have significant connections in Tulsa that should help me secure a job after graduation. 

How do Tulsa and St. Thomas compare?  Should my full ride at St. Thomas motivate Tulsa to give me more money?  I know nothing about St. Thomas.

Framboise

• View Profile
Re: Tulsa vs. St. Thomas - MN
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:55:49 AM »
If you want to live and work in Tulsa, then it should be a no-brainer.  Go to Tulsa.  St. Thomas is on the the rise in MN, but it's not really much of a viable alternative if Tulsa is where you actually want to be.

Try to negotiate to get the GPA stipulation dropped or reduced at Tulsa.  St. Thomas's scholarship couldn't hurt to mention, but don't count on that getting you more money.  They're not rival schools and feed into completely different non-competing markets.

NonTradInSATX

• Alea Iacta Est
    • View Profile
Re: Tulsa vs. St. Thomas - MN
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:39:39 AM »
Agreed on where to attend, but I would definitely pull that scholarship out in negotiations, UST is T3 vs Tulsa's T4 and though regionally they're distinct, what's the worst they can say?  They may not negotiate, but by politely telling them that they are your top choice and you want to attend, but money is a factor and btw UST gave you a full-ride, they might just throw you a bone.  Based on Tulsa's student handbook, 3.0 is top 30-40%, so it isnt an easy stipulation, but like Framboise pointed out you might be able to negotiate this too.
Military Officer separating, 1L fall 2011

San Antonio, TX