Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I transfer with low GPA ?  (Read 4103 times)

orangecoffee

• View Profile
    • Email
Can I transfer with low GPA ?
« on: January 30, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »
My undergrad GPA is 3.08. Because I only wrote LSAT once with 145 score, I ended up at Thomas Cooley Law School.

I struggled so much in Cooley 3 hour close final exam essays...I never got to finish my exam... my GPA is extremely low... Does any of you know where I can transfer to with GPA of 1.85? Any law school is fine with me ,as long as it's not going to take too much time... Iím not planning to be a lawyer.... I just need a law degree to sit bar exams... then work on public policy/regulations etc...

Thanks !

P.S: Iím going to write LSAT again on Feb 12.

orangecoffee

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Can I transfer with low GPA ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »
oh... one more thing:  I was eligible for learning disability accommodation but i didn't apply...

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 08:42:35 AM »
Some unsolicited advice - you may want to rethink your strategy.  One does not need to be a licensed attorney to work on public policy and regulations.  You can get the basic education on administrative law and policy in places other than law school.  Why waste the time and money at law school if you are not planning on practicing law?  Also, the reality is, if you struggle with law school, you will likely struggle with passing the bar.  If you have not discussed your plan with people you hope to emmulate, you should.  Going down the very expensive law school path could be a huge financial mistake.  If you are following someones advice to take the path you are on, you need to get a second opinion of someone you can trust (that is not me or anyone on these boards).

Now, to address your post specifically:  I may be wrong - but retaking the LSAT after starting law school may be fruitless.

You will have to talk to the schools you are looking to transfer into, but I suspect the odds are against you.  If you are looking to transfer "up," e.g. to Michigan State, they require something like a 3.25 to even be considered.

Again, not to be harsh, but with those numbers, I suspect you are paying full price -- I would seriously consider whether law school is truly a worthwhile investment.  Graduating Cooley with a low GPA is not going to open many doors for you.

lawstudent2011

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 11:04:03 AM »
3 hour exams are longer than most people need. I understand that you have a disability(no shame in it once honest about it) I believe that ALL schools are required to comply with the Americans with Disability Act. You should qualify to extra time on exams if you get diagnosed and provide documentation.

Wouldn't it be easier to do that instead of trying to transfer? Especially isnce your main complaint appeared to be over the exams.

oh... one more thing:  I was eligible for learning disability accommodation but i didn't apply...

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 08:21:05 PM »
Any law school is fine with me ,as long as it's not going to take too much time... Iím not planning to be a lawyer.... I just need a law degree to sit bar exams... then work on public policy/regulations etc...

Why do you need a law degree or to be barred to "work on" regulations? Assuming you're just talking about drafting legislation and regulations and the sort, you don't need admission to the bar, and you'd be better off cutting your losses and moving on.