Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Wayne State: Worth it?  (Read 6857 times)

JCB1864

• View Profile
Wayne State: Worth it?
« on: January 28, 2011, 09:01:09 PM »
What do people who go there think of it? Pros? Cons? Does everyone commute or do people live there?

politicolaw

• View Profile
Re: Wayne State: Worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 09:58:38 PM »
Tuition and cost of living are definitely pros, but detroit for most people would be a con. Would be better for discussion if we knew what you are comparing it to.

JCB1864

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 01:51:14 PM »
My other main school is the University of Toledo. I get in-state tuition at both schools so cost is not a issue. What do people think of how Wayne and Toledo compare to one another? Would it be harder to get a good internships/associateship/job going to one school versus the other?

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 02:02:37 PM »
Doing well at WSU will give you a decent shot at just about any MI law firm.

galwaylyman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 01:18:50 PM »
I had a colleague with these two options. She had scholarship money at UToledo but didn't at Wayne State. She ended up choosing Wayne State because of the city. She doesn't live in Detroit (she lives in Royal Oak) which is 20min outside of the city. It is a really yuppie town, with a main strip of bars. I know a bunch of people who live in Royal Oak and I am not a big fan. It seems to rotate around rich housewives and guys who like to get really really dressed up to go out in a bar that smells pretty bad (that is just my experience though). Anyway, back off my tangent. She went to Wayne State and is happy. She said the big difference is job internships and jobs after. Wayne students are mostly likely to get jobs around detroit. UT students are most likely to get ones in Toledo. But that is merely a trend. If you work your ass off, you will have the options you want. Wayne state is ranked higher, but she said the education is basically the same. Hope that helps you!

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
Doing well at WSU will give you a decent shot at just about any MI law firm.

With a few noteworthy exceptions, doing well enough at any school will give you a decent shot at just about any firm anywhere.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

vocaloid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 07:35:07 AM »
Tuition and cost of living are definitely pros, but detroit for most people would be a con. Would be better for discussion if we knew what you are comparing it to.

This post has been extremely insightful and useful to increase my knowledge in the field of knowledge and its many facets.

otaku
vocaloid

WSUAlum1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 12:24:58 PM »
Don't go to Wayne.  Ten years ago it was a borderline T2 school, but it isn't close anymore.  In 2008, US News mistakenly released numerical rankings for the T3.  Toledo and Michigan State were at the top of T3 (tied at 108, in a year when T2 extended down to 104 b/c of ties).  Wayne was deep in T3 at 125.  If US News starts ranking T3s every year (as it is planning to do: http://www.nationaljurist.com/content/breaking-news/us-news-world-report-may-expand-law-school-rankings), then Wayne's inferiority to Toledo will become common knowledge.

The years since 2008 have not been kind.  In one year, from '09 to '10, Wayne's applications fell 11%.  In-state rival MSU's apps increased 27% in the same year.  http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20100825/C03/308259994#

I might add that Toledo is a much more 'student friendly' school.  The focus there is on preparing students to practice law when they graduate, and law firms have noticed the difference.  Anecdote: U of D Law school puts ads in the Wayne State student newspaper (the 'South End') taunting that U of D students "graduate practice ready."  Wayne can't respond to those ads, b/c practical skills are not a priority there.   Want to take clinical classes?  Wayne has 2 clinical profs, and one teaches a half load b/c he's the director and has to supervise the other one.  Wayne is now regarded as behind MSU and behind Toledo among Detroit's hiring partners.  If the $ is about the same, go to Toledo.

paydayloans

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:11 AM »

Iím glad that you shared this helpful info with us.

WSUAlum1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 03:02:00 PM »
I should have added to my reply above: if you are looking at the SE Michigan/NW Ohio market, you really should apply to Michigan State.  It is a strong up-and-coming school, w a nice facility on a fun campus w/ a serious commitment to student success.

Here is the MSU web page from its Career Services Office, showing how its graduates 'placed' last year:

http://www.law.msu.edu/career/placement-rates.html.

The % w/ jobs 9 mos after graduation was very impressive in this economy--over 98%. But even more impressive was the number who are getting jobs out of state--almost half the class, over 29 states, as you can see from the link above.

After MI, the 2d favorite state for MSU grads is Illinois. Thirty-one MSU grads took the Illinois bar. Passage rate: 100%. http://www.top-law-schools.com/michigan-state-college-of-law.html. That's even better than MSU's state-topping 94% for the Michigan bar.

Some students are scared away from MSU b/c the 'sticker price' looks a little high at $34K.  But:

"Over 50% of the 2009 class received scholarship assistance with the average award totaling $22,009." [Note: the program is even larger since 2010, so these numbers will be even more favorable for you]

If your credentials are good, apply.