Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Cooley transfer, just achieved a 3.5+ GPA at a top 25 taking all questions.  (Read 1015 times)

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
I'll field any questions about my law school experience.

john4040

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Rank at Cooley when transferring?

Approximate rank (assuming 3.5 cumulative GPA) at current school? 

Impressions of quality of education received at schools? 

Impressions of general intelligence of student body between schools? 

Reason for transfer?

Mr. Hart

• View Profile
I finished in the top 6% with a book award, but after my first semester i was tied with maybe 3 or 4 other students for #1 out of five hundred something.

Approximate rank (assuming 3.5 cumulative GPA) at current school? 
Class rank won't come out until next week. I just got my last grade today. However, after looking at the GPA cut-off points for last semester I should be at least in the top 25%, maybe 15%.

Honestly, IMHO all ABA schools teach you the same stuff. The rules of tort law are the same whether you study law at Yale or Cooley. The only difference is at my current institution you get some exceptional professors. Professors that have done things like decide landmark cases and write casebooks.

Impressions of general intelligence of student body between schools? 
At my current institution my colleagues are very academically inclined. At Cooley, I feel there are some bright students and vice versa. It really does vary. I knew a few kids at my old school that went to very prestigious colleges. Nonetheless, there is a significant change in the average level of intelligence between both schools.

Reason for transfer?
I felt the school I currently attend would open more doors for me. I thought I'd chase my biglaw pipe dream.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I finished in the top 6% with a book award, but after my first semester i was tied with maybe 3 or 4 other students for #1 out of five hundred something.

Honestly, IMHO all ABA schools teach you the same stuff. The rules of tort law are the same whether you study law at Yale or Cooley. The only difference is at my current institution you get some exceptional professors. Professors that have done things like decide landmark cases and write casebooks.

No. Everything changes at tier 1 schools. They are shown the  secret rules and learn the cases nobody else learns in Civil Procedure, Contracts, etc. 

Honestly, that is an interesting post and story. Good for you making it to the big time and doing well! Hopefully, the Big Law dream works out. You probably made the right decision if Big Law was your goal and just in general really.  No debate a top 25 school opens more doors than Cooley. I would imagine the average student at your school is far superior to the average student at Cooley as well.

Out of curiosity what are the differences in how many people come for OCI? Also how many jobs would you say are on your current schools symplicity career services account compared to Cooley? I am sure your current schools numbers are higher, but I wondered how much higher.