Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part Time - Law Review/Moot Court?  (Read 1053 times)

NonTradInSATX

• Alea Iacta Est
    • View Profile
Part Time - Law Review/Moot Court?
« on: January 25, 2011, 09:49:41 AM »
Is it possible/practical for a PT non-trad law student to actually succeed at law review/moot court?  I know that technically I can participate and Iím not blocked out by bylaws, but Iím concerned about long term impact of being part time on my chances of actually being successful at either.  Anyone with any experience in this?
Military Officer separating, 1L fall 2011

San Antonio, TX

Nic Benny

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Part Time - Law Review/Moot Court?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:12:30 PM »
Can anyone contribute to the OP's inquiry? I'm also curious.
Thanks.

Cereal_Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 06:13:39 PM »
Because you're attending part time, I assume you're holding down a full time job. And if you're working full time while attending law school, there's just not enough hours in a day to do everything. Unless, of course, you plan to skip sleeping altogether.

If you're working part time or less, however, you should have plenty of time to take on Moot Court or Law Review.

Cher1300

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
I'll also be attending part-time in the fall.  I did speak with a part-time graduate who is now a judge.  Although she went to school about 20 years ago, she told me she did moot court, but not law review.   According to her, it's possible to do one or the other, but may difficult to do both unless you have no personal life to speak of.  Aside from that, she said it's really not possible to join any associations.  Most of my lawyer friends have told me that employers generally ask about your gpa, and whether or not you did law review or moot court.   I'm going to try for law review.  That's some writing I may be able to sneak in during work time.   Hope that helps!  I guess we really won't know until we start.

gzl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:00:43 PM »
I'm doing law school part time, work full time and was invited onto law review.  I decided to do it.  I'm ranking well in my classes, and have been offered the assistant editor in chief role on LR.  I say that just to let you know that it's possible to do all of the above and do well.

Having said that though, my weekends are gone and the closest thing I have to a social life is the brief conversations I share with the counter people at the local starbucks.