Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: EARLE MACK SCHOOL OF LAW, DREXEL UNIVERSITY  (Read 2520 times)

shouhu

• View Profile
    • Email
EARLE MACK SCHOOL OF LAW, DREXEL UNIVERSITY
« on: January 21, 2011, 11:46:45 PM »
How about this law school? He is even not a third or fourth tier, because he was approved by ABA provisionally in 2008. So is going to this law school worth it?

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: EARLE MACK SCHOOL OF LAW, DREXEL UNIVERSITY
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 12:49:02 AM »
The answer is maybe. Drexel is a decent university from what I understand although I have never been to Philly. I am sure when they officially become approved they will be a tier 2/3 school. I am not basing that on any foundation, but just a hunch. The rankings in my opinion do not mean much if you are considering schools like Drexel, Gonzaga, USF, Nebraska, GGU, etc. There are elite schools and then there are the rest. You can have a successful legal career from any ABA school and only 10% of law students attend the top 20 schools. I am basing this on 200 ABA schools and 10% of 200 is 20 as I understand it. The majority of lawyers went to schools nobody is really familiar with and if you are a good lawyer it will be recognized. If you are not that will also be recognized. I am only a second year student, but when I work and do things nobody every asks what school I went to. Whenever I am with my supervising attorneys etc it never comes up either. Clients are either pissed off at me or my supervisor for doing a bad job or happy when you do a good one. If you f*** up you can't say I went to Harvard and patch it up. If you do a great job for someone and you went to Cooley the client will be happy and will not care you did not attend an Ivy League school. Pedigree certainly helps to get started, but if you don't go to an ELITE school pedigree is not going to help you much anyways.

As a sidenote you should always go to law school in a location you want to live in. If you really want to be a lawyer and Philly is where you want to live then I think Drexel should work out fine.

Framboise

• View Profile
Re: EARLE MACK SCHOOL OF LAW, DREXEL UNIVERSITY
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:52:30 AM »
Being from Philly, I can tell you that Drexel is respected for undergrad, because it's largely focused towards engineering and the sciences.  It's known for its co-op program, which is what I think brings in the most students.  Well that, and the fact that they tend to be generous with scholarships (they have to be - it's expensive), they have a high acceptance rate, and their numbers are better than Temple.  Many of my closest friends go there.  That being said, the reputation does not carry over to the law school.  It seems that even Drexel students wonder why they suddenly have a law school.  It's very out of place and completely unnecessary.  This is because I really don't think many people go to Drexel for undergrad to study liberal arts.  Of the ~30 people I know there, NONE of them study anything remotely close to liberal arts.  My only guess might be that Drexel might try to be building itself up for IP . . . that or they're just trying to enrich themselves and nothing more.

In short, Drexel is a young law school with no alumni network that is filling absolutely no void in Philly that I can see.  Temple and Villanova have the market covered, as does Widener on the bottom end.  Rutgers-Camden is somewhere in between, but I don't know enough about it to really give you an idea of its placement.  Basically, try to avoid it if you have other options.

Do you want to work in Philly?