Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: URM - Let's all move backwards  (Read 2428 times)

legalize

• View Profile
URM - Let's all move backwards
« on: January 21, 2011, 03:35:31 PM »
Why do we even need this URM bull?  Do we really need to accept people that are less qualified?  Does the workforce really prefer inferior lawyers?  How are you entitled to gain an advantage from something that you had no power to control?  Should we be more lenient when it comes to admitting down syndrome folks?  Perhaps autistics ones?  Thoughts?  I feel like this affirmative action system is preventing the US from producing the best lawyers possible.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
Re: URM - Let's all move backwards
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 09:23:24 PM »
If you look it up, there was actually a professor at UCLA who found that accepting URM students to better schools actually results in less URM lawyers because students are more likely to be overmatched at their school and drop out (this obviously isn't true of a student who would go to Chicago and instead is going to Yale, but it is true of students in the T3/T4 range).

That said, it isn't all about the students. Schools themselves have an interest in diverse campuses. There's a reason why private schools, who are under no law or obligation to give special status to URM students, continue to do so: it helps their reputation as a school. Race may be a somewhat generic way to promote diversity, but it is one way.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
Also, quit sounding like an angry white person.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 01:23:54 AM »
Why do we even need this URM bull?  Do we really need to accept people that are less qualified?  Does the workforce really prefer inferior lawyers?  How are you entitled to gain an advantage from something that you had no power to control?  Should we be more lenient when it comes to admitting down syndrome folks?  Perhaps autistics ones?  Thoughts?  I feel like this affirmative action system is preventing the US from producing the best lawyers possible.

http://www.leftycartoons.com/wp-content/uploads/denial_is_so_white.png
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »

http://www.amptoons.com/blog/images/concise.jpg

As an aside, it's your contention that non-white students are being admitted to schools they don't deserve to be in, right? But they're graduating. And we all know that law school exams aren't adjusted for race or subject to AA. And neither is the bar. So, what is it about exceeding your underestimation of their abilities that's their fault?
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

fortook

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
There a two kinds of people in this world- whities and non whities.  There are two nationalities- American and non American. Nature is so simple and apparent.
"Thank you for inviting me, Mrs. Palin." "Thank you for cutting your mullet, Levi."

LincolnLover

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »
who's the racist? You assume color. How do you know he's not Asian? Or Bill Cosby?

Also, quit sounding like an angry white person.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:45:27 AM »
who's the racist? You assume color. How do you know he's not Asian? Or Bill Cosby?

I did not assume color. I said that the person sounded like an angry white person. I didn't say, "Quit being an angry white person." I said to quit sounding like one.

LincolnLover

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
And that explanation is any less racist how?

I did not assume color. I said that the person sounded like an angry white person. I didn't say, "Quit being an angry white person." I said to quit sounding like one.

like_lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 09:56:00 PM »
And that explanation is any less racist how?

That wasn't the criticism I responded to. You said I "assumed color." No, I didn't.