Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Part time Maryland or Full time Drexel  (Read 660 times)

omarlos

• View Profile
Part time Maryland or Full time Drexel
« on: January 21, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
I got accepted full time at drexel with a 15k per year scholarship but also got into Maryland as a part time student.

I am mainly focused on obtaining a strong internship. I know to do you you mainly need to be a full time 1L but at the same time Maryland is a vastly superior school to Drexel.

Any advice?

If I was to transfer into the full time program after one year would this catch me up as far as employment opportunities or are internships/summer employment relations mainly built after completion of the 1L?

Framboise

• View Profile
Re: Part time Maryland or Full time Drexel
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:44:23 AM »
Being from Philly, I have to wonder how it's possible that you're choosing between only Drexel and Maryland.  Where is it that you wanna work?  If it's in the Philly area, then why not Temple or Villanova?  To answer what the better option is, we need to know where you're from and where you want to work after school.

omarlos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:55:09 AM »
hey, good question,

I"m a northeastern. lived in PA went undergrad at UMD.

I'd be content working anywhere between DC Baltimore or Philly. My #1 choice was Maryland. I have applied to temple, nova, and American although based on my numbers its very doubtful I'd receive $$ from those schools. Because Drexel would be so cheap I am considering.

The main question I guess was how does being a part timer affect job prospects. I have contacted Maryland and I am not eligible to switch to full time until after one year. At the time of my applications I thought part-time was my best option based on personal circumstances, although I am now coming to realize thats not so.

bottom line; will being part-time hurt my chances at biglaw jobs, wherever they may be?

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
If you do go PT, do you have a line on reasonable work or other activities that could be seen as relevant to your future career as a lawyer?

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:01:20 PM »
As far as I'm aware part time won't hurt your chances at biglaw so long as your gpa, class rank and all that is where it should be.  That said I can't think of anyone I know in biglaw from either of those schools so chances at big law might be so slim either way as to not matter.  I do have a good friend who was part time and is now doing well in biglaw.  Go to law firm websites and search their lawyers by school to get a feel for which firms are hiring from which schools.  Be sure to look for post-meltdown hires as firms were taking most anyone (relatively speaking) a few years ago.
HLS 2010