Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is going to a fourth or third tier law school worth it?  (Read 2802 times)

Gordy

• View Profile
    • Email
Is going to a fourth or third tier law school worth it?
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
I currently work as a college librarian, but I'm considering law school. In terms of salary, this career change would be a big step up. However, I have good but not stellar grades and test scores, which makes a third or fourth tier law school a distinct possibility. In light of the debt and extreme competition for jobs, would these be worth attending? Or barring one of my "reach" schools, should I stick with my current profession?

like_lasagna

• View Profile
Re: Is going to a fourth or third tier law school worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:18:44 AM »
No, it isn't worth it.

Hamilton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is going to a fourth or third tier law school worth it?
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:25:50 AM »
If you do not have a burning passion to be a lawyer, then no, it is not.  Ask yourself why you are thinking law school now... just b/c it seems like the thing that can lead to a great salary?  If that's the thought, then you are mistaken.  If a career change and post-grad is something you want to do, choose a field/are you love and have passion for, then go for it.  If you love what you do, you WILL be successful.  As they say - do what you love and you never "work" a day in your life.

There are a TON of blogs/articles out there that make the case for NOT going to T3/T4 (much less law school in general) - read with an open mind and do all your homework before making a commitment.  Do not filter out what you do not want to hear: keep an open mind and weigh the facts.  A THOROUGH financial evaluation is critical.

I currently work as a college librarian, but I'm considering law school. In terms of salary, this career change would be a big step up. However, I have good but not stellar grades and test scores, which makes a third or fourth tier law school a distinct possibility. In light of the debt and extreme competition for jobs, would these be worth attending? Or barring one of my "reach" schools, should I stick with my current profession?