Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FSU vs. Miami  (Read 1691 times)

legalize

• View Profile
FSU vs. Miami
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:51:04 AM »
I want to practice in Florida, preferably near the coast and am having trouble deciding on which school to attend.  I know FSU is ranked better than Miami, but haven't heard anything regarding scholarships and would pay out of state tuition.  I would acquire state residency but still shell out over 30 grand for the first year. Miami on the other hand is offering over half tuition; I would be paying about 14k a year but am worried about the high costs of living.  Any thoughts? (Side note - I love money.)

Framboise

• View Profile
Re: FSU vs. Miami
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:59:42 AM »
Florida is an extremely over-saturated market, so prospects are rough anywhere.  In any case, the ranking difference between FSU and Miami is extremely marginal.  54 vs. 60?  It's the T2, so a 6 place difference = peer schools  I do think FSU has a better reputation that Miami, but Miami seems to be on the up.  That difference is very little when one is throwing half tuition at you.  Do FSU if you're sure you can get in-state tuition after the first year and if you think you can't do FSU. 

Obviously, wait to see if you get money from FSU before you do anything rash.  Also if you haven't visited them, visit for sure.  The difference between Tallahassee and Miami is enormous.  Go where you think feels right after visiting.

legalize

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I'm going to go visit the schools in Feb so that should also help greatly with the decision.  Hopefully I can get over the fact that Tallahassee openly supports and hosts NASCAR events.  I am trying to get out of the derp derp here in Texas.

louiebstef

• Sr. Citizen
  • 45 y/o Non-Trad-2012 cycle
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 02:44:20 PM »
OP,

While I am applying in next year's cycle, I am a Florida native with both of those schools on my list.  I have actually visited/toured Miami Law. and spoken with one of the deans.  If the metro scene is for you, you could do much worse than UM.  The Coral Gables area of Miami is nice, and the campus is downright beautiful.  The law school is tucked away in a corner of the campus and is pretty self-contained, which is a good thing.

As far as FSU v. Miami is concerned, it is all about "The Benjamins."  Where can you attend more cheaply?  The cost of living in Miami is by far the highest in the state.  Tallahassee is quite a bit cheaper.  FSU has a slightly better reputation state-wide than does Miami (according to attorneys I've spoken with), but UM is king in the Miami area.  If your scholarship makes the two tuition amounts equal, I would lean toward FSU due to their reputation and much cheaper cost of living.  If not, then UM is not a bad option.

There is a 3L at Miami Law who posts on this board occasionally.  His name is Derek Hibbard.

I hope this helps.

"Why be a lawyer? I'm already an ass.  Might as well go professional!"

legalize

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I just received a decent scholarship at FSU so this makes the decision much easier. Now my question is, how hard is it to gain residency after the first year?