Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need help ASAP please  (Read 3381 times)

Law-a

• View Profile
    • Email
Need help ASAP please
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:51:09 AM »
Hello fellow mates,

I made my O level examinations last year and received a C in English, it is absolutely not the grade i wanted but the thing is does it effect my Law study's once I apply to university? Will I increase my writing skills reading Vocabulary during the Law years?
I am really curious, since Law is what I want to do, I don't really care if it is hard or whatever, everything is hard in life so we gotta get through it.

I also want to know if I want to take A level English ...etc what advice of skills can you guys give me to start doing in order to increase everything i stated above?

Thanks,

Ps: Another question is, if applying for Law you don't need math at any university right?
As I am not taking math for my cambridge examinations and as I am entering Law there is no need for me to take math.

This question is urgent please

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need help ASAP please
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »
Take at least 3 composition courses; one after the other.   After the 3rd one, correct punctuation, grammar, and the standard essay format: introduction, body, and conclusion, along with topic sentences will become second nature.  You don't need math for law school, per se.  But, being familiar with algebraic and geometric concepts will help you when you take the LSAT.    To stay motivated while you hone your basic math and English skills, read Supreme Court opinions on the side.  I say that because Supreme Court opinions are easy to understand:  the Justices spell out everything in a logical format.  Approach law school as you would approach the t.v. game show, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire?"  You need an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the law.  I found this out AFTER I start my first year many years ago.  Only now do I know what it takes to succeed.
Angie

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
To stay motivated while you hone your basic math and English skills, read Supreme Court opinions on the side. 

I say that because Supreme Court opinions are easy to understand:  the Justices spell out everything in a logical format.

Uhmm, which Supreme Court are you referring to ???
Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 06:22:53 PM »
The United States Supreme Court, of course.   Constitutional Law was my best subject as a first year law student (many moons ago) because I found the court opinions so easy to follow.  It was the only "A" I received.
Angie

BikePilot

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - joshthebikepilot
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
FYI the study of law (or rather the process by which  you go about studying law) is very different from the UK to the US.  I'm guessing the OP is UK based, is so, the OP would be best served ignoring advice from US posters  I think.
HLS 2010