Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Igcse Applying for law soon  (Read 589 times)

Law-a

• View Profile
    • Email
Igcse Applying for law soon
« on: January 17, 2011, 12:02:14 AM »
Hello fellow mates,

I made my O level examinations last year and received a C in english, it is absolutely not the grade i wanted but the thing is does it effect my Law study's once I apply to university? Will I increase my writing skills reading Vocabulary during the Law years?
I am really curious, since Law is what I want to do, I don't really care if it is hard or whatever, everything is hard in life so we gotta get through it.

I also want to know if I want to take A level English ...etc what advice of skills can you guys give me to start doing in order to increase everything i stated above?

Thanks,

Law-a

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Igcse Applying for law soon
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 09:24:09 AM »
Another question is, if applying for Law you don't need math at any university right?
As I am not taking math for my cambridge examinations and as I am entering Law there is no need for me to take math.

IPFreely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 07:43:19 PM »
You're the first Brit I've ever seen posting here, so don't be surprised if you don't get any answers.  Good luck, though.

Law-a

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 04:42:32 AM »
Instead if criticizing why don^t you help me out and tell me where should I post?

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 11:20:17 AM »
Law-a,

I do not think that the previous comment was intended as criticism. Instead I think that he was trying to point out that overall this forum has been rather US centric, and that the vast majority who post here may not have much knowledge of how things are done elsewhere (this includes me).

I can tell you that the common perception among most students applying to US law schools is that the lack of any particular coursework as an undergrad (assuming that one was granted a degree) is unlikely to be a bar to admission at a law school. It seems that the biggest factors for the admissions are a students GPA and LSAT, with other lesser factors providing some adjustments at the margins (maybe some adjustment for work experience, perhaps if one graduates from a particular noted school, and so on....)

Having a single C is unlikely to cause any real problems. Once again the common wisdom seems to be that the concern is more about overall GPA then performance in specific courses. I suspect that this is because the type of coursework performed by those requesting admissions into law school varies much more then that of those perusing other professional programs such as medical school where everything will have taken some many course in Biology, Chemistry, (the dreaded Organic Chem course...).

Although I have to admit that I am not sure how well this plays outside the US, but I would not be surprised if the process is similar.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 02:25:58 PM »
Hello fellow mates,

I made my O level examinations last year and received a C in english, it is absolutely not the grade i wanted but the thing is does it effect my Law study's once I apply to university? Will I increase my writing skills reading Vocabulary during the Law years?
I am really curious, since Law is what I want to do, I don't really care if it is hard or whatever, everything is hard in life so we gotta get through it.

I also want to know if I want to take A level English ...etc what advice of skills can you guys give me to start doing in order to increase everything i stated above?

Thanks,

Regarding your English grade: To be perfectly and brutally honest, I would start by making sure everything you write is well proofread. That includes forum posts.

And like the person above said, this is a forum for U.S. law schools, and it appears you are not applying to law school in the US. Therefore, few people here will have the knowledge to help you.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Law-a

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:00:25 PM »
I really appreciate your answer guys, but I was interested in Applying a university in America, as it is cheaper to live there, then to live in england, Most people have told me that American university's do accept IGCSE holders for undergraduate.

But I want to know for you guys, how can I improve my english drastically before 8 months?
As I am going to do a hard english exams in september and finding all the resources that I can would fit me.