Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic School of Law  (Read 16356 times)

leadfoot

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mid-Atlantic School of Law
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2013, 11:56:18 AM »
I DO NOT UNDER STAND ,a Want a be law office?What is wrong with a mentoring in a top NY law firm .Read the rules about the NY bar..... Getting accepted to any BAR is passing a test and convincing  the committee you are ready to be a lawyer..Spending a ton of money on a calif program  makes little sense ..Ron-- BBA -MBA   

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »
IWhat is wrong with a mentoring in a top NY law firm .Read the rules about the NY bar.....

There is nothing wrong with it, but I believe the option is limited to applicants who have first completed at least one year at an approved school. I'm not familiar with NY's rules, but I know that here in CA the law office study method still has to meet some formal requirements. Reports of hours, subjects studied, etc. have to be provided to the bar and approved.

Getting accepted to any BAR is passing a test and convincing  the committee you are ready to be a lawyer.. 

In the most literal sense I suppose that's true, but it's overly simplistic. Before you can attempt to convince the committee of anything, you've got to pass the bar. Passing the bar isn't just about memorizing rules. It's about learning to recognize what the bar examiners are looking for, and how they want it presented.

Based on the incredibly low number of applicants admitted via the office study route, it seems that this method is not very good at developing those skills. It doesn't mean that it can't be done, but look at the numbers.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2013, 06:56:01 PM »
M$$L is enaged in SEO here eusing a variety of sock puppets. It is a scam. It is not a law school.

leadfoot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:09 PM »
Great then I can attend TORO a ABA  approved school   for 1 year, they have a special program,this  with my degree at MASL  will let me sit for the DC BAR and like you said with Mentoring  may be the NY BAR..

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2013, 02:32:06 AM »
Can MASL provide you with proof that even one single student has successfully done this, or are we just talking in hypotheticals? I'd be highly skeptical before dropping tens of thousands of dollars on a hypothetical. 

leadfoot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2013, 02:23:52 PM »
Tens of thousand ?1 year at Toro is not that high,Thank god,,

passaroa25

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2013, 03:37:21 PM »
At least Mid-Atlantic is transparent regarding its method of instruction.  While I was at Mercer, I sat in the back of most of my classes.  And, you know what I saw?  That at least half of the class.  No, three quarters of the students had the canned court opinion briefs in front of them.  I felt like an idiot being pretty much one of the only students who read the court opinions and briefed them on her own.  So, while the case books are part of the curriculum, how many students actually read them?  So, it is not the form of education that matters.  Substance is what matters.    I still place Mid Atlantic among all the online law schools with a California address.  Mid Atlantic just happens to be cheaper.  And, all Mid Atlantic has to do is incorporate in California and it will be on the state approved list.
Angie

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2013, 04:06:42 PM »
Tens of thousand ?1 year at Toro is not that high,Thank god,,

Tuition at Touro is $42,000 (full time) or $32,000 (part time). 

leadfoot

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2013, 04:30:56 PM »
 I agree with you .People put the calif programs on a higher level .Getting to be  a licensed  lawyer is very hard with any non ABA  program ,at least you will not break the bank with MASL.Angie send me an E  mail ..Ron'

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2013, 10:06:48 PM »
Mid Atlantic will not qualify as a distance learning law school in California for a number of reasons that have nothing to do with where it is incorporated:

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/Education/Rules_Title4_Div3-UnAcc-Law-Sch.pdf

How about utter lack of faculty or any licensed attorneys for starters?