Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mid-Atlantic School of Law  (Read 16443 times)

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: Mid-Atlantic School of Law
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2012, 10:41:22 PM »
Flame or not, Enough.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2012, 10:47:17 PM »
Con gradulations may be use have your Degree from H ARVARD ..Any way the rules states under rule 46 i can travel this route ,we will see.Right now with my busy life i can not sit in a class so we have to dis agree..RON A  BBA- MBA
There are indeed many things that you can do. Although, just because it is something you can do, it does not mean that it is worth doing.

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2013, 09:02:53 PM »
Hi Everybody,

Let's get back on topic.  I think about this program as an exam prep review course, while you pursue a J.D. on other registered online law schools, and use it as if it were a Baby Bar exam prep course" General Bar exam prep course, or refresher course alongside your other course! 

Meaning, if they are using Gilbert Outlines anyway, this program is like taking a bar review course.  If it costs the same or less than a bar review course, just do it, to pass the Baby Bar first, then complete your regular registered online law program after you pass the Baby Bar.  Also, then finish the MASL program as a Bar Review Course, after you get your J.D. from the registered online law school, and as you head for the General Bar Exam.

What if you can no longer afford to study at registered online law school, after you take MASL and use it as a Baby Bar exam prep course?  Then MASL may be a good last resort to finish an unrecognized J.D. program, as the cost is very low.  Then when you are able to get back to a registered online law school, you are ahead of the game!

I'm a little weak with my explanations, but what do you think of that idea?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
Madness!  MASL is not associated with any attorneys, law professors, or anyone vaguely connected with practising law or passing bar exams.  if you want to read outlines, buy them and read them, you do not need to enrich anyone  else in order to read a book.  If you want a bogus law degree you don't need MASL, instead go make one up in a word processing program, print it out and award it to yourself.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 12:04:09 AM »
Would studying with MASL even qualify one to take the FYLSE in the first place? Although CA is comparatively open, they do still have some hoops you have to jump through. If a school is neither ABA/CBE accredited or registered with the CA bar (like Taft, Concord, etc.), then I think you'd have to qualify under the attorney-study option (not sure what it's actually called). Is that what MASL does, do they put their students in contact with CA attorneys who supervise their work?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
MASL and NOVUS are not accredited law schools, there are no lawyers or bars associated with these operations.  You cannot take a bar, you cannot become a lawyer anywhere with their degrees and your credits are worthless.  To qualify for the FYSLE is quite simple enroll at an online law school registered with the California State Bar.  if I started a law school in my garage today, it would have more credibility than MASL and NOVUS because at least I have a law license (though wouldn't have one for long if the cal bar got wind I was passing out phony diplomas).

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 10:06:02 PM »
They're definitely not accredited, but California allows students from unaccredited schools to sit for the FYLSE and bar. The problem is that they're not registered with Calbar, either. I just took a look at Calbar's summary of requirements for admission. As far as I can tell, the only unaccredited law schools whose degrees qualify one to sit for the bar are those which are registered with the State. I assume the requirements for the FYSLE are similar, since what would be the point in allowing someone to take the FYLSE if they can't sit for the bar?

So to answer your question, Financialandtaxguy, no, I don't this is a good option for FYLSE prep either.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 10:24:28 PM »

MASL and NOVUS are not just unaccredited, they are not actually "law schools." Unaccredited law schools registered with the Cal Bar are the only ones from which can qualify a student for the FYLSE. MASL and NOVUS cannot qualify for registration because they do not even meet the minimum standards for registration which are actually quite lengthy. 

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/Education/Rules_Title4_Div3-UnAcc-Law-Sch.pdf

However anyone who cannot discern that MASL is a crock from their website which lacks even a physical address; is not likely to pass the FYLSE in any event.

financialandtaxguy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2013, 03:44:13 PM »
Hi Folks,

Don't miss the issue here!  Those of us, who are already professionals law related fields e.g. Insurance Professionals, Real Estate Professionals, Estate Planners, Financial Planners, Registered Investment Advisers, and Tax professionals to name a few, we know that a lot of what we learned was not just academics but from "on the job," and good mentors.  Many of us learn to look up law, when we need to know the strict law, and regulated law. 

My comments about using Novus or MASL, is to advocate the learning structure given, not necessarily the non-existing prestige.  I've been in seminars and learning environments where non-attorney Estate Planning professionals conducting the seminars, danced circles around lawyers, and oh by the way, there were lawyers in the classroom who humbly came to learn from a non-lawyer.  All this to say, most professionals know we can learn many things from our own research, especially in this age of the internet, and from good mentorship. 

Novus or MASL will at the very least give you good legal content and structure, but in the present mind-set of the ABA, will not give you a leg up on getting a license.  Use MASL as an exam prep tool, in my opinion anyway.  I gave links in another posting to recorded Michigan Supreme Court oral arguments and the European Court oral arguments, in which you can learn courtroom etiquette and style.  Visiting your local courthouse and sitting in on actual court cases is also a good learning experience.

Thanks for all your comments!

Ron

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mid-Atlantic School of Laughs
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2013, 11:45:25 PM »
NOV*S & MA+L (no SEO from me) will not do anyone any good except their non lawyer owners who will laugh all the way to the bank. If someone wants to learn about the law, do not give money to make believe schools, go get an accredited Masters in Legal Studies from Kaplan or other accredited online schools. Any so called professional would not waste their money on an unaccredited offshore " law school" and if they did I would not want them within 10 feet of my tax return or any other document since they have shown the inability to understand that a law school must at least have some connection to lawyers and the law to call itself a law school.

Also anyone who tries to use "European Court oral arguments" in the US will get their hat handed to them by the court.

And I am sure those dancing estate planners or whatever were dancing alright after they got charged for unlicensed practice of law for the crap trusts they talked people into buying.

But you are right, going down this road may indeed get one quality time in a court room.